Chapter Twenty-Seven

      “Nice practice guys!” Talia commended us, as we finished up one of our last practices of the season.

      Wow. I truly can’t believe it; the volleyball season is coming to an end. It feels like just yesterday I was trying out, confident in my spot on the team. When the season eventually does end, I think I’ll miss it. I like volleyball. There’s something about the intense mix of aggression and fun that’s appealing to me.

      “Yeah you too!” I told her, taking a large gulp of water. As the cool liquid traveled down my throat, my head released, and something lifted in my chest. It felt good.  

      Then, I saw him. His dirty blonde, curly hair was unmistakable from a distance, as was his height. I ran over, my knees aching, though I had worn kneepads, from hitting the floor after diving to get the ball multiple times. He waved at me, flashing a bright smile, as if we were good friend, which in my mind, we’re not.

      “Jules!” he called, walking over to me, meeting me halfway. I jogged to him, and let out a deep breath.

      “Hey Mason,” I said, panting.

      “I caught the end of your practice, you’re really good!” he said, trying to make me feel good. At the end of practice, I failed. Straight up, I wasn’t focusing, and I sucked.

      “Thanks…” I said, breathing in the simplistic element of air.

      “So, not to be rude, but why am I here?” he asked, getting straight to the point.

      “I wanted to talk to you,” I said, regretting my choice of words. Now he’s going to think I’m interested in him. Shit.

      “About what?” he questioned, perking up as expected.

      “Who, and Izzy,” I said plainly.

      “Who’s that?” he blinked, genuinely not knowing to whom I was referring.

      “My friend, the one over there, in the yellow shorts,” I said, pointing her out.

      “Why are we talking about her?”

      “Because… I want to introduce the two of you. I think that you’d get along well… and make a cute couple,” I said, mumbling the last part.

      That was indeed my motive. I wanted to get Izzy a boyfriend. She’s such a sweet girl, and I really think that she needs someone else in her life. When I was musing about on this idea, Mason came to mind. He’s the nicest boy I know, by far, and I think that his and Izzy’s personalities would mesh well together. There’s something about him that I feel Izzy could potentially connect with.

      “The girl with the wavy hair up in a ponytail?” he asked.

      “Yeah,” I said, nodding my head.

      “She’s cute… I guess.” He scrunched his face, thinking whether or not to say something, before coming to a conclusion, “Why do you want me to go out with her. I’m your… ex boyfriend, and I mean, firstly I think it would be amazing if the two of us got back together, but I just don’t understand your reasoning behind trying to get me set up with another girl.”

      “I want you to be happy Mason-”

      “Then you should go out with me,” he said, staring at me like a lost puppy with his grayish blue eyes.

      Damn. When we were younger, his eyes had the same effect on me as they did now. His eyes looked so full of joy, and life, and as though nothing could penetrate his youthful heart. Mason only wants to do good. He wants to please everyone around him to a degree, but like with everyone, he has his own opinion, and his own outlook on the world. Those eyes! When I was first telling him about moving to California, I didn’t look into his eyes; I couldn’t.