Chapter Twenty Eight

Kellin's PoV

It had been two weeks since the crash. To say Liz's ward was miserable would be an understatement. I mean, it was nice enough, with a vase of black and silver roses (courtesy of Ben Bruce and James Cassells) on the bedside table and generic gray furniture. She had been moved from an Intensive Care unit to a Long Term Care ward. There was a stupid 'one visitor at a time' rule (thanks to Frank, it was his idea) meaning we had to take it in shifts. Frank had even made a rota. He said that he didn't trust the nurses and wanted to make sure that there's always someone Liz trusts with her. He really took this hard. Everyone but Gerard was on the rota, even though Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy had to continue with their tour. Gerard wasn't allowed to visit according to Frank, based on the fact that 'It was all his fault because he had a bitch-fit and Liz felt bad'. I knew that Sammi doll had swapped out with Gerard on a midnight shift a few times though.

It was three am and Ben was with Liz, preparing to swap with me. Suddenly, there was a screech from the ward and I stormed in, ignoring the 'one at a time' rule. Ben was looking overjoyed at Liz.

"What happened?" I demanded.

"I started to make a stupid kink-shaming joke and she squeezed my hand!"

"Oh my god. Oh my god! Do we tell Frank?"

"No, he is being over-protective. I hope Liz will put him in his place tomorrow"

Just then, a nurse came flying through, looking rather disheveled.

"She squeezed my hand!" Ben told her.

"Okay. She should be conscious in about five hours. I'll be back every half hour" she barked, leaving.

"You hear that, Liz? You've got this. We can surprise Frank"

Bens PoV

I looked down on the body of the sleeping sixteen-year-old. She had regained some colour and I hoped she woke up soon.

She shivered and I turned the thermostat up in the corner of the room, before returning to the plastic chair next to her.

"So, did you know that James has a cross-dressing kink? I sure as hell didn't" I talked aimlessly. A tiny muscle twitched in her face and she smiled slightly.

"I take it you can hear me then. Should I put some music on? I insisted that I have your laptop brought here so I can play music. How about 'famous last words'? Ironic, really" I said, pressing play.

"I look forwards to when the guys actually play this to us, I mean, seriously. It's a great song and this crappy sound quality doesn't do it justice"

This whole time, Kellin had been sitting on the edge of the bed quietly, watching me talk to Liz and watching her react.

Three hours and many topics of pointless conversation later, Liz hadn't improved much but we had talked about a lot of useless crap.

"Screw it, I'm going to sing. Didn't you like that Fall Out Boy one, 'Young Volcanoes' or something?"

She twitched again and I broke into song.

"W-well done, you-you can sing well for a guitarist" croaked a voice from the bed.

"Liz! You didn't die!" Kellin squeaked.