Forty-One: Just Great

Elliot

The clock on the side of my bed showed neon green numbers, 4:27 a.m.

Sighing I realized I wasn't getting any more sleep. Just those precious two hours. Climbing out of one of the many guest beds from the common space of the Ward residents, I walked into the hall and went downstairs. There nobody was awake.

Surprise there. I thought glumly.

My thoughts drifted back to my brother and sister and our mismatched pack, where despite all our faults, there was always someone around or awake to keep me company.

Since I wasn't hungry and there wasn't anybody else down here I decided it would be best that I go back to my room so nobody would think I was 'scooping out' the place for my excuse for a brother.

I hated him, but, nevertheless, he still held a place in my heart.

He is family, he is blood. But at the same I wanted him to die in a storm of fire.

He took the one thing that was meant to be mine. Not our parents' pack, not the title of future alpha, not the title in our pack as Mr. Popular, and not the place of favorite in our parents' hearts. No, he had already taken all of that when he was born all of three minutes before me. And still, he took the one thing that was supposed to be mine.

He took my mate.

Stalking back up to my bedroom my thoughts of anger were broken when I heard sobbing from down the hall.

My interest was piqued and I detoured to investigate, not thinking of how suspicious it might be for me to confront an unknown wolf in the dark hours of the morning, likely in a place I shouldn't be.

Walking down the hall the soft sobs became louder, and I realized it was Sydney's room that the crying was resonating from.

Softly I knocked on the door. "Sydney," I whispered out.

The crying stopped. "Go away!" She finally blubbered out.

"Sydney, what's wrong? Are you alright?" I demanded, pushing open her bedroom door, my heart thumping in fear of the worst.

It was what I had grown to know.

There, sitting on the floor curled up on the floor was the girl I loved. Not thee girl, but the girl. Even if she wasn't my mate I loved her.

Never would I love her more than my sweet Ceciley, but in all my time watching Sydney, she had thawed my heart and brightened my world.

Running to her side I tried to solve what caused her tears.

"Sydney what's wrong?! Who did this? Are you hurt?"

She shook her head, her tangle of blonde hair looked to have been bunched up in angry fists numerous times. She chocked out, "J-Jay-c-cen. H-he doesn't l-love m-me. Ja-Jasmine."

Anger coursed through my bloodstream like a powerful bullet.

My wolf demanded I go and rip him limb from limb for hurting his mate. The one thing that some people are not gifted enough to have.

"I'm going to kill him," I growled out, losing it.

Sydney's hands shot out and caught me. "P-please don't." I looked down at the shattered girl as she whispered out vulnerably, "C-can you j-just stay with me?"

Looking at her my wolf settled and knew we couldn't leave her in a state like this just because we were angry.

No furious.