Forty-Three: Glowing White Again

Sydney

"Oh my god! Where have you been?!" Em shrieked enveloping me into a hug as she freaked out. "Were you kidnapped or something? Mean my god you completely disappeared on us!"

I laughed lightly knowing that they had no clue just how spot-on they were. "Em are you trying to kill me when you guys just got me back?" I humor filling my voice.

"Damn you! You scared us Syd!" Meg now yelled yanking me into a hug of her own. "We thought you died or walked right off the face of the earth."

"I was just sick and lost my charger to my phone. Otherwise, I would've called you guys and told you."

I bit my cheek to keep myself from frowning at myself.

I hated this. I hated lying to my best friend. I mean they deserve to know but if they knew then they could get caught in the crossfire and I could never live with myself if something happened to them.

"Just tell then Love."

I flinched slightly and quickly realized it was only Jay in my head.

As Em rambled on about all the work I missed and the latest gossip I looked over to Jay who was leaning against the lockers across the hall holding a conversation with Mat and a teammate but his eyes were locked on me.

"I told you not to do that!"

He smirked, "I seem to have no recollection of this so-called conversation."

I scowled him from across the hall, "Jerk."

With my heightened eyesight, I caught his wink, "Haha sorry, Star." Jay said not at all sounding apologetic. He said something back to a teammate of his that he was hanging out with instead of Terrence.

"Sure you are. You know wh-"

"Sydney are you even paying attention?"

My gaze snapped to Em, "Yeah sorry just zoned out."

The girls gave me a weary look and I knew that they didn't believe me but let it go. "Whatever you say. Just tell us if you need something alright. Can't have our friend collapsing on us and disappearing on us again."

"Yeah, I got it."

"Alright...So did you know that April and Ethan broke..."

"Tsk tsk Ms. Watkins, thinking about a boy when you've been reunited with your friends. Granted you are a bunch of delinquents, causing emotional trauma to the young innocent boys of the lacrosse team."

I wanted to laugh aloud but at risk of looking insane, I bit it back.

"What can I say, I was trying to catch the attention of a certain someone."

"Oh Star you shouldn't-"

"I meant Terrence-"

If glares could kill.

"You're lucky you're beautiful."

"Sydney! What's wrong, you're all red, are you feeling alright?"

I jerked back to my friends' conversation feeling guilty for not really being here with them.

"Oh, yeah, guess it's a little warm standing here." I slipped off my jacket to look convincing as we stood in the hallway, huddled and talking till the bell rang.

"Really, Jay? Now my friends seriously think I'm ill-"

He interrupted me by saying, "Yes Star, you look beautiful as always."