Chat [No Man's Land]

"It's been a week of Operation Harley and he's done nothing except glare at you. Can we just go back to the bakery instead of hanging around his father's pizza joint where he hardly ever comes?"

Megan narrowed her eyes at Connor, "You go back if you want, I'm staying put."

He sighed but didn't leave, "You're sure he's going to come?"

"Yeah, I heard him tell Liam that he has to meet someone here."

"It's creepy how you stalk him, Megan," Connor ventured. "Sometimes I think..."

She raised her eyebrows, "What?"

He shook his head and then nudged her, "Don't look but he's here."

She immediately turned around, "Where? Where?"

"Ten o' clock but don't look," he whispered.

"Ugh I don't get the clock directions," she groaned. "Just point."

He pointed discreetly.

"Oh I see the waste-of-space now," Megan scrunched her nose in disgust. "He's meeting his father. Mr. Ollival is actually a great guy. I met him when I came here with Harley on a date and he was totally unlike his son. He even offered us free food."

"Well, he's not being very generous with his son right now," he commented, as they saw Harley being practically dragged out of the restaurant with his elbow in his father's grip. In the few seconds before the glass door closed behind the Ollivals, Harley caught them staring and glared darkly.

"He probably deserved that," Megan said, awkwardly.

Connor shrugged, "Can we leave now?"

They went to the bakery after that and while Connor took the orders, Megan set the place up for the next day. Most of the days they worked in silence like this. A comfortable silence where each was lost in their own thoughts. Sometimes they'd talk but it was mostly Megan who did the talk and Connor who did the listening.

Megan suddenly spoke up, "You know, I used to think you talk a lot."

He was boxing up some pastries and he closed the lid before answering, "I guess I do talk a lot."

"But that's it, you don't. At least not to me," she remarked. "Why?"

He didn't answer.

"If it's because I was a bitch to you then I apologise because I think we got over the part where you were a weirdo and I was a bitch."

His ears went red as he knelt beside one of the drawers to look for a knife, "Uh you needn't apologise. I...I think we got over that part."

"Good," she smiled, jumping onto a counter and dangling her legs on it to sit down and look at him. "So, let's talk."

He turned around and folded his hands across his chest, "Okay. Let's talk."

"Your sister..."

"-is none of your business," he snapped, his eyes flashing angrily.

Megan gaped, "I didn't even say anything yet!"

He looked away, perturbed, "I didn't mean to to snap but I really don't feel like discussing my family with you." He picked up his jacket and was nearly out of the kitchen but Megan caught his wrist.

"You can, you know," she said. "I won't judge or whatever it is that you think I'll do."

He let out a breath, swallowing, eyes reddening, "You'll try to fix it, Megan, and some things can't be fixed. They can just worsen so you got to leave them alone."

She didn't back down, "If my friend's sister thinks that she is a piece of shit because her father told her so, don't you think that I'd like to at least know what the problem is? Do you think you're helping Jules by just letting it be? By not trying to fix it?"

His quivered slightly as he spoke, "I have an abusive alcoholic for a father. I'm seventeen. Don't you think I've tried to fix it and failed? Because I have. There, you now know the synopsis of my tragic life. Mystery solved. Happy now?" The door crashed shut behind him.

"Connor, wait," she called out but he was gone.

That night as she lay in bed she wondered, Does Jacob know? Does Jessica know? God, I've always been so mean to him. I can't even imagine what he's been through. I thought I had it tough after Mom left but-no, I got to do something. He might not want to be fixed but I'm his friend. I'm a better judge of what's good for him and Jules.

Something knocked against her window outside. She looked at it apprehensively but nothing happened and she went back to her thoughts.

Because he'd do the same for me if I was in his place.

This time the sound was clearer. Two clear knocks as if made by small pebbles. She got out of bed and quickly took hold of the baseball bat her father had bought her when she was little.

She could hear sounds of someone actually climbing up and raising the bat high, gritted her teeth. This thief was going to be sorry he chose this house to burgle.

A head appeared and she lunged forward with the bat. She recognised him but it was too late and if he didn't have lightning reflexes and a footballer's strength his skull would have cracked open like a coconut.

"Gosh, Jackson," he breathed heavily, pulling away the bat and climbing in. "Do you want to kill me or something?"

"What the hell are you doing here?" she spat.

Harley smirked, "Came to pay my admirer a visit."

[ hey you all!

yes, I didn't update in forever. but better late than never right? *grins sheepishly*

well, if you must know, i hit a writer's block the size of Australia. I'm trying to recover now and put up updates. It's tough especially because I still have a couple of exams and really important ones. Also, all I want to do is start new books but I keep telling myself I need to finish these first. Don't even get me started on my laptop.

But that's nothing in compared to what's happening in the world right now. What is even happening to people? Where's the humanity? First some guy rapes a girl and then he's treated as the victim, then a 22 year old dies at the hands of some psycho and now, homophobia takes lives. I also heard that the people of Lebanon are suffering from a blast so #prayforlebanon too. Please pray for all those in need of it around the world and voice your concerns. Be strong. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask for it, fight for it and take it. Also, if you can help the victims please do so. If not, at least pray for them. Humanity isn't easy these days. Let's do what we can. #chooselove

Stay safe, ilyall x]