Chat [Bad Blood]

Chat [Bad Blood]

Harley was saying something but Megan couldn't make it out. Her brain seemed to slow down, blurring everything, everything except for the notes she held in her hand.

Conversations.

The bakery.

Jokes.

Late night conversations.

His voice, the Beatles.

Him.

All this time, all this fucking time, it had been him.

Tears pricked her eyes as she remembered the whispers, the smothered laughter that had followed her around ever since she had mistakenly called out Harley as the sender of those notes. All those jokes about her, on her...and Connor had known what she had gone through.

The pizzeria.

Her plans.

The heartbreak.

The bakery.

All her plans, all her schemes...couldn't he have said anything? Couldn't have told her it wasn't Harley? That she was being a fool? Couldn't he have stopped her when he'd seen her ask Harley out? Right then, right before, she had walked off a cliff, blindfolded and unaware?

So much confusion, so much humiliation, thoughts, thoughts, too many thoughts.

All the nights she had spent awake, lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering about the identity of her secret admirer and like a fool, she had confided everything, confided it all in someone she had thought was her friend.

What did these notes mean? Because he had never shown her any of the feelings expressed in these notes.

No, all he had done was lie and lie.

She walked purposefully to Gender Studies where a very oblivious Connor was listening to an ongoing discussion on misogyny. She pushed the door open with a crash, looking absolutely livid, and stalked inside holding his crumpled notes in her balled up fist.

"You horrible sadist!" she shouted and threw the notes at his face, the ball deflecting off his cheek.

He stared at the pieces of blue paper now scattered over his desk and on the floor. He looked at her, his brown hair falling over his eyes and started, "Meg, I-"

"You can go to hell!" she shouted and stalked off, the door banging shut behind her.

Connor took a deep breath and clenched his jaw, "Sorry, Mrs. Patts, you'll have to excuse me."

Before the bewildered teacher could say anything, he followed out.

Jacob stood up, "Uh-"

"Of course, you need to leave too?" Mrs. Patts asked.