Talk [Heals Hearts]

"Hey, Jacob, wait up," Megan called after him

"I-er-I got class," he said, awkwardly.

She glared after him, "Its break."

He walked faster, "Uh, I'm failing Chemistry. Its an extra credit class."

"You are not running from me, Lawson," she roared, chasing after him.

"Okay, okay," Jacob finally stopped outside the Chem lab, wheezing. "Stop chasing me around! What do you want? I swear, I didn't do anything."

Megan laughed, "Wow, you're scared of me. That's awesome. You need to help me."

"No, no, no," Jacob scowled. "Count me out of whatever nonsensical plan you're cooking up. You should go ask Jessica for help, actually. Yes, that's a fantastic idea. You should do that. Okay, bye." He tried sidling past.

"Not so fast, Jakey," she caught hold of his t-shirt and pulled him back. "I need your help specifically. Connor is your best friend. I need to talk to him. His phone's switched off and he hasn't come to school since well, since I made a fool of myself. And its been nearly a week so you have to tell me where he is."

"I can't."

"Don't be so heartless. Wait, so you do know where he is but you can't tell me?" she narrowed her eyes.

"No," he said, very unconvincingly.

"Yeah, right. C'mon, please, Jacob, I have to tell him I was wrong in saying all that I said. I read the other letters, okay? And I understand. Just give me a chance to talk to him. Please."

"Meg, look, he isn't coming to school because of you. He's got a lot of stuff going on at the moment. He needs some time to figure it out and yes, I know where he is but I can't tell you because he wants to be alone at the moment. He doesn't even want to talk to me, most of the time," he shrugged, helplessly.

"Is it because of his Dad?"

Jacob looked at her sharply, "How-?"

"I am his friend too, you know," she said. "I know you don't think very highly of me but I do care for him. I do know him, whatever bits I could know at least."

He bit his lip, thinking. Finally, he gave a short nod, "I'll try to talk to him about it. Fix up a meeting. God, that sounds so formal."

"Its okay," Megan smiled, trying not to let her disappointment show. She wanted to meet Connor right now but she would have to take what she could. "Thank you. Just be sure to tell him I am sorry and that I miss him."

"I will," he nodded, with a small smile. "See you around then."

"Yeah." She watched him walk away.

He turned around suddenly, "And what gave you the idea that I don't think highly of you?"

She frowned, taken aback, "Because I am not very nice to you? And I fought with your best friend?"