Chat [Movin' On, Movin' Out]

Jacob was aimlessly playing Subway Surfer on his mobile, waiting for Connor to return his calls, waiting for Jessica to return his calls. Megan...he would like to talk to her only when she was calmer. She had propensity to blame things on him otherwise.

He shook his head as he thought of the fiasco that was Connor's love life. How was it that he was surrounded by the most dramatic people?

He was shaken out of his thoughtful reverie by the shrill ring of the doorbell. Knowing that his uncle would come home only after nine, he frowned. Was it even worth getting up and answering the doorbell when he knew it couldn't be anyone important?

The bell rang two more times, more forcefully. He sighed, pausing his game and getting up. It better not be the neighbour checking in on him. Uncle had assigned Mrs. Husain as his watchdog ever since he had had the suicide scare, something which Jacob still couldn't believe people had thought he was capable of. True, she was nice and often brought him spicy biryani but he didn't need a babysitter.

He opened the door with a scowl.

Connor stood there, red-faced and teary-eyed, shouldering a huge backpack and holding his sister's hand firmly.

"Jakey!" Jules shrieked and immediately latched on to Jacob's trouser leg. "Play Joker so I can beat you up already." She waved around her Batman cape.

"Hey, Jules," Jacob grinned and picked her up. "Let's get you in first, shall we?"

"Batman doesn't need to be picked up," Jules said and punched his chin, jumping down and running inside shouting maniacally after monsters. "Here comes the Bat!"

"Ow," Jacob rubbed his chin. "As much as I love to have you and Jules over, dare I ask why you're here in this state? Is something wrong?"

"Nothing," Connor said, shortly. "I'm moving out of my house-" he pushed past, "-and moving in with you."

"Uh, okay."

Jacob closed the door and followed him inside.

"And I am watching television now so don't talk," came another short statement from the couch where Connor seated himself, turning on the tv.

Jacob closed his mouth and sat on a chair, carefully watching him from the corner of his eye. "Is Jules moving in too?"

There was a pause.

"I don't know. Yes, I suppose."

Another long excruciating pause. They were watching some tele-shopping channel.

"I hate my life," Connor finally said even though it sounded more like a sob.

"Trouble with your father?" Jacob asked softly.

Connor laid back and closed his eyes, "Yeah, as usual. Wish Mom would just divorce him. He's fine when he's sober you know? But the problem is he's hardly ever sober. There used to be a time when he meant the world to me, he still does in a way and I have tried to advise him to get help but he doesn't listen. He's getting worse every day. I just can't take it anymore. I feel like if I continue living there hearing his disgusted, mean voice, I will suffocate. And I can't just leave Jules there to suffer alone so I had to bring her along. I hope that's okay."

"Of course, of course," Jacob nodded, picturing what Uncle would say when he got home to find out he had two more children to take care of. Maybe he wouldn't notice. Sometimes he even forgot Jacob was around.

"And the one time I did something hopeful with my life, it blew up in my face," Connor continued.

Jacob nodded sympathetically.

"You know, I was stupid to ever think it was possible. Megan Jackson and Connor Trent. Sounds all wrong."

Jules ran downstairs and asked, "Where are the crayons?"

"I don't have crayons," Jacob replied.

"What?"

Connor fumbled inside his backpack, "Here you go."

Jules ran up screaming, "Don't worry, I don't need paper."

"God, what did you give her for lunch?"

"Not only does Megan know now, I also made a complete fool of myself by shouting at her in front of everyone," Connor continued on his self-deprecating monologue. "Worst of all, even after all this, I still love her. I shouldn't, right? It should stop, all these feelings should stop once its so obvious that its useless to hope, to long for someone who is never going to love you back."

"Well," Jacob started, "I'm glad you said whatever you did. Its not a healthy thing to bottle stuff up inside. I am happy you got it off your chest and how Megan reacts is her own thing. You shouldn't blame yourself for anything. You tried, that's what matters."

"I hate it when you become all wise and philosophizing."

"Dude, that's my best characteristic."

"..."

"What was that?"

"I said, I...I wonder what's happening over at my house. Did they find out we're gone forever? Or does it even matter? Its horrible to admit this but I just want to matter, you know? To know that someone out there cares for me, that I am important. That's all I ask. Why is it so tough?"

Jacob changed the channel to sports and picked a football match, knowing Connor liked those, "Hey, I care for you. So does Jules. And Jessica."

"I think I'll go sleep for a bit," Connor gave a pitiful attempt at a small smile. "Maybe I'll wake up to find my whole life was a dream and I'm some guy dripping with perfection."

"Sure, sure," Jacob nodded awkwardly, getting up. "Let me help you with your backpack."

"Just let it be."

***

I know its been forever BUT GUESS WHAT? I have a new laptop, finally. What does this mean? Frequent updates!! So rejoice :D

I would love to tell you the trials and tribulations of my life but that would be too long so I'll just post a chapter in Room of Requirement for that. Keep an eye on it to keep track of what I am up to these days.

A small request to you golden people, please please vote for The Fairytale Life of Doris McQueen and The Grimm Life of Adam Topaz over at FairytaleCommunity 's Retelling Awards. They have a special way of voting so be sure to check that out and please support my stories there? I will be very, very grateful.

Lastly, this is the FORTIETH CHAPTER OHMYGOSH we have come such a long so a HUGE thanks to everyone who has been along for the journey. I guess we have about ten chapters to go before this book gets over and I promise each and every one of them will be amazing!

I will be answering all comments so yeah, say hi, lemme know how this chapter was, etc.?