Chat [Everything Under The Sun]

Connor watched Jacob leave for school next morning and laid his head back as he thought about the conversation that had happened with his Dad last night

Connor watched Jacob leave for school next morning and laid his head back as he thought about the conversation that had happened with his Dad last night. He had imagined the conversation so many times. He had thought it would bring him some sort of closure. A feeling of finality? That he would suddenly know what to do next? He had thought about it for so long that it felt more like a dream than the fact that his Dad had actually apologized, promising to try to be better.

His Dad quitting alcohol was a win, exactly what he had wished since he could remember...his Dad telling him he was sorry, exactly what he had dreamt winning would feel like. Then why didn't it feel like he had won?

He felt empty. So empty, it hurt. He looked around the empty house and wondered how his friend could bear it. Closing his eyes, caramel eyes flashed through his mind. Lately, all he could think about was her.

True, Megan Jackson had been his undoing since the moment he had seen her. He had known it even then...that this girl who walked with her head held high laughing with her friends was going to be a defining part of his life. Megan who filled the emptiness with her glowing life. Megan who made him smile by smiling herself. Megan who was the beacon of everything warm and beautiful.

Megan, whom he still hadn't told that he loved her.

With a jerk, he was awake from whatever half-stupor his life had fallen into. He missed her. It was true, she hated him now more than ever but--he rushed upstairs feverishly looking for some clean clothes--before they cemented their non-friendship, he had one last thing to say to her.

One last thing.

No notes, no hiding.

Just him and Megan.

It was about time.

***

The truth about going back to school after a break, especially a self-commissioned one, is that it's freaking scary. Hiding away in Jacob's house was the most rebellious thing Connor had ever done. How would he react to whispers? How would he answer to questions?

"What are you doing here, asswipe?"

Of course, Connor groaned, of all the people he could have met, he had to meet his #1 tormentor in the whole of his educational experience.

Deep breaths, deep breaths, he told himself.

"I go to school here, Harley," Connor replied.

Harley rolled his eyes, "Man, you grew some spine. You're no fun anymore."

"Yeah, well," Connor fidgeted, "see you later."

"Wait, idiot, I'm still talking," Harley grabbed hold of Connor's t-shirt and pulled him back. "Why are you outside the gate and peeping around like a pervert?"