Chapter 5

(Mark's P.O.V.)

"Wh- What do you mean hack the game?" Wade was the first, and bravest, one to speak up first. "This game hasn't even been released to the public." Another deep chuckle sounds.

FOOL. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT A GAME NEEDS TO BE RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC FOR SOMEONE TO HACK IT? Wade swallows hard. I jump a little when Jack speaks up.

"How did you even know that this game existed? More specifically, how did you know that we would be in this game?" This time the voice laughs, rattling the building a little.

YOU GUYS CAN THANK YOUR FANS FOR THAT ONE. SERIOUSLY? POSTING ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE HAND? PATHETIC. Jack rolls his eyes as Felix shot out of his chair.

"You leave our fans the fuck alone, you hear me you son-of-a-bitch? You leave them alone!" A small chuckle was heard.

RELAX. I DON'T WANT YOUR PITIFUL FANS OR ANY OF YOUR SUBSCRIBERS.

"Then... What do you want?" Ken asks softly.

ME? I WANT TO PLAY A GAME. LET'S PLAY A GAME SHALL WE? Bob bangs his fist on the table.

"Enough of the crap, already! Just let us leave!"

TSK TSK TSK. THAT'S NOT HOW THE GAME WORKS.

"I don't give a sh-" I raise my hand, signaling for Bob to be quiet.

"How do we play this 'game' of yours?" I ask.

AH, I SEE THERE'S A SMART ONE IN THIS GROUP. KUDOS FOR NOT BEING STUPID LIKE YOUR FRIENDS.

"Mark? The smart one? C'mon!" Wade snickers. The voice just continues on like he never said a word.

TO FINISH THIS GAME YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL 100 LEVELS. THERE ARE DIFFERENT... ENVIRONMENTS IF YOU WANT TO CALL THEM THAT. HOWEVER, THERE IS A CATCH. IF YOU ARE IN A BATTLE AND YOUR HEALTH BAR REACHES ALL THE WAY DOWN TO ZERO... WAIT FOR IT... YOU DIE. NOT ONLY IN THE GAME, BUT IN REAL LIFE TOO. It was dead silent. Nobody spoke.

MY.. PEOPLE PLACED A CHIP IN YOUR HEADSETS IN WHICH IF YOU DIE IN THIS GAME, A POISON WILL BE INJECTED IN YOU, KILLING YOU ALMOST INSTANTLY. I WILL BE NICE AND KEEP THE SAFE ZONE IN THE GAME. NOW ANY QUESTIONS?

No one breathes a word.

GOOD. OH, JACK? Jack's head snaps up.

"How the fuck-" the voice interrupts him.

I HAVE A... "PRESENT" FOR YOU. HOPE YOU ENJOY IT. All that was heard was evil laughter as a small ball of green and black smoke appears behind Bob and Wade. Jack's eyes widen as the green and black orb penetrates his skin, sending him flying out of his seat, across a couple of tables, and hit the wall. I shot out of my seat, running towards his unmoving body.

"Jack? Jack?!" I yell, crouching down beside him and rolled him over. His eyes were closed and his face was pale. I felt tears burn in my eyes as I look up at the ceiling.

"What the fuck did you do to him!" I scream. The others formed a half-circle behind me to see if Jack was okay.

YOU'LL SEE. The voice says as it laughs again. Then it was quiet. My vision was blurry as I closed my eyes and leaned a little close to Jack's chest, listening for a heartbeat. After hearing a strong thu-thump, I realize that he was just unconscious and not dead.

And with the voice gone, it's game officially begins.