Chapter 7

(Jack's P.O.V.)

It was dim. I throw my arm lazily over my head. I must've been on a bed because it was way to soft to be the floor. I wince as I roll over onto my side.

Damn. What was that green and black orb? My muscles are killing me.

"So you're awake?" A soft voice whispers. I freeze, slowly looking over my shoulder. It was Mark. He smiles a little. "You've been out the entire night and some of the morning." I sat up rubbing my eyes.

"I was out for that short amount time?" My voice was all scratchy and hoarse. "It feels as if I slept for an eternity!" I glance over and studied Mark carefully. He was now in a plain red shirt with dark blue jeans. Underneath his beautiful brown eyes were dark bags. He was exhausted. "Mark, get some sleep."

He sighs and stands up.

"Sorry pal, I can't. Now that you're awake, You, Felix, and I are going to go try out the first level while the others gather supplies throughout the town and other things." Now it was my turn to sigh while throwing off the covers.

"Can't we just take a break? Just for today?" His smile fades a little.

"The others and I agree the sooner we finish this game, the better." I nod.

"Okay. Let's go find Felix."

++++

The first level is really creepy looking. It reminds me of an old church in one of those horror movies. Felix stops, causing Mark and I to also stop.

"Over there," he whispers. I squint, faintly seeing the shadow of a human.

"Felix, are you sure?" Mark whispers. "That looks like a lost NPC."

"Dummy! Look closer!" He whispers back. "That's not a NPC! That's..." He walks a little closer. He stops, his eyes really wide. "It's a fucking boss!" He slaps his hand over his mouth as he realizes his mistake. He didn't whisper.

The figure whips around, looking at the three of us, and let out a scream. Mark draws his sword as I grab my guns.

"Felix, just stay back and do your healing job. Only fight when you must," Mark says really fast as I lift my guns up, walking past both Felix and him, shooting at the figure. The enemy boss, Szarica, throws its head back laughing.

"Fools." It hisses, blocking my bullets, causing me to stop. "Youuu cannot killll a creatureee of the nightttttt." And lunges at me.

Before I could blink, Szarica had knocked me over. My eyes widen as it's fingers turn into claws and scratched at my face. I let out a pained cry as blood trickles down my face. A shiny grey blade makes a hissing sound in the air, causing the boss to fly backwards.

"Jack, are you okay?" Mark calls from over his shoulder as he stood in front of me, holding his sword outstretched and ready to slice whatever comes his way. A soft purple light suddenly illuminates around me and I watch my health bar climb steadily up. Felix, I smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I set my septic gun level to 3. Watching Szarica scramble to its feet, I notice a yellow bar above its head.

"It's almost dead!" I shout as it lunges. Mark flicks his wrist as Szarica flew by and knocked it off balance. A blur passes out of the corner of my eye as I realized Felix slit its throat as it fell. Szarica was almost dead.

It stood up again slowly smiling.

"Did youuu reallyyyy think you can winnn soon easilyyy?" She laughs as a knife flies past her, grazing Mark's cheek. A dark figure landed gracefully right beside Szarica. We all gasp as the name shows up. It was an assassin, and it had more health than Szarica itself.

"Okay, guys, I'll handle the assassin. Kill Szarica." I say in a low tone as they start to approach. Mark and Felix nods and then I lunge at the assassin.

The assassin wastes no time and instantly dodges. I raise my guns and fired twice, hitting him in his chest. His health barely went down any. The assassin lunges, scraping me in the side with his knife as I dodge his full attack. I wince, glancing at my health. 80%. I glance at the others. 98% and 96%.

I raise a gun and fired. The assassin suddenly disappeared. I glance around dumb founded. Pain laces through my shoulder.

"ARRGGH!" I scream, spinning around and punched him in the face. He grunts, staggering back, dropping the knife. I hold my left hand to my right shoulder and pull back. There was blood. I grit my teeth and checked my health again. 70%. Felix was too busy helping Mark, so I was on my own. I was going to die.

Don't say such a ridiculous thing. A voice, eerily familiar to my own, except deeper and darker sounding says. Look, my vision was suddenly 10x sharper and I could see every single detail. Shoot him here, my vision zooms in on his kneecap. I yelp, jumping back. The voices growls as the assassin comes at me. Better yet, fuck this. I try to raise my arms but I wasn't in control of my body anymore. What the hell was going on?

I leap in the air, and kicked him square in his face. The assassin grunts as he was sent flying across the area. Something trickles down from my left eye. I watch as my hand went up to my face and pulled back. Black liquid that I have never seen before covers my fingers.

"Ah, wouldn't want your friends to see me." My lips move but it wasn't my voice.

Who are you! I yell in my head. The assassin rain at me. I drop the guns, grab his face, leap up in the air, and smashed his face into the floor. His health bar instantly drops to zero and he fades away.

"You'll know soon. Trust me." And just like that I was in control of my own body again. I put a hand to my eye and pull back. Nothing was there.

"MYYY ASSASSIN!" came the screech. I spun around and saw a tear stained Szarica face right in front of me. "YOUUUU KILLLED HIIIIIIIIMMMMM. DIE YOUU-" a sword pierced through it's chest cavity. Szarica's shocked expression was the last thing we saw of it before it disappeared like the assassin when he died.

A small box came up with a you won! And showed us our xp and gold we earned. The three of us just sunk to the floor in exhaustion. We had finally defeated the first level in the game.