Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

We were crafty about getting back to the car, the mercenaries had given up and the police force had fanned out to comb the area for any stragglers. We reached the car, the police where surrounding the area. One of them spotted Alaya as she reached for her keys. "Madam!" he shouted. "Merde." She muttered as he raced over. "Yes?" she asked. "Do you know what happened?" he asked, holding a paper out to her. She refused it. "No, I'm sorry- I was down the street from the bank." All the security footage would have been destroyed when the building blew up. She hopped in the car without another word, slamming her foot on the break to get away from the burning building and the scent of searing flesh. She sped out of the city and back towards the house, we didn't speak a word on the way back. She was still upset, but I didn't think it was sadness anymore- it had morphed into anger.

She screeched into the driveway, slamming on the breaks and causing the car to skid towards the door. It parallel parked perfectly and she got out of the car, slamming the door. I followed her, watching her as she almost burned a path into the house. She tossed the paper we had gotten at me before going outside. Cassandra and Victor stood in the kitchen, watching her slam the French doors to the backyard. "What happened?" Victor asked. "They attacked us at the bank, they blew up the building- and she blames herself for all those people dying." I explained. "On the upside, we have this." I unfolded the slip of paper.

It was a travel map of a Guana Island, which was mostly empty- it was a private island in the Caribbean. In red marker, someone had written. "You've made it this far, keep looking." Then on the island there was a red X, on the north side near the top of the island. "We should give Alaya a minute, she was pretty mad." Cassandra suggested. I nodded, glancing out the window to the red haired woman pacing around the yard. She was on the phone with someone, whispering angrily. She hung up and returned inside, it seemed like she calmed down somewhat. "So what was on the paper." She asked me. I showed it to her. "Guana Island... That's a Private island. Why the hell would we want to go there." I muttered. I shrugged. "I don't know, but it's the only lead we have. I say we follow it." She looked up at me and nodded. "Yeah, everyone get some sleep- we leave tomorrow." With that she vanished into her office, the door locking behind her.

Cassandra looked at the door for a minute. "She seems Shaken." The girl muttered. I nodded. "She was, Alaya doesn't like to see innocent people die... no one does, but her more so then others." I said. "That's probably why she doesn't want Nathan or you hurt." I pulled a Cigarette out of my jean jacket pocket, lighting it in the house. After today, I'd earned this. "She only wants one person, me- and she doesn't want anyone else hurt in the process." I said. "That's probably what I respect most about her."

"I'm amazed that you don't hate or fear her for what she threatens to do to you." Victor said, crossing his arms. "death at the hands of a beautiful woman doesn't sound to bad, honestly." I chuckled. Cassandra frowned slightly. "I still think she can be reasoned with. She doesn't seem unreasonable." I shrugged. "I don't think so, kid- but we shouldn't be talking about this here. Its late, we should get some rest." I said leaving the two in the kitchen and going to my bedroom. Shutting the door quietly behind me. As I sat on the bed, looking at the sunset over Paris my brain drifted to a Christmas two years ago.

-

"Sam, you cant give my daughter... that." I was holding a fancy box with a gold trimmed pistol in it, my brother was rubbing his forehead at my present. "What. Shes a Drake, she needs something to protect herself with." I chuckled, patting him on the shoulder and walking into his house. The Christmas tree was lit, Cassandra was fourteen. She'd only recently learned the truth about her parents and me and Victor. "Uncle Sam!" she laughed running at me and hugging me. "Is that for me!" she reached for the black box. "Yes, but- you'll have to wait for it. Its not Christmas yet." I said. Elena sat on the couch with Victor, they laughed glancing at Nathan. I plopped down next to them on the couch, looking at Cassandra as she danced around her father. "Do you wish you had kids, Sam?" Elena asked me, her hazel eyes meeting mine in curiosity. "Nah, I'm not the 'father' type of guy. Now, my little brother over there-" he chuckled. "I'd say you two did a good job with her- and well, you tried to keep your past life from her... but stuff like that just doesn't go away." I said. Nathan's voice came from the kitchen. "Get your butts in here, Dinners ready."