Chapter Thirty-six

Chapter Thirty-six

I hit the water and the current dragged me down, oh god- it was my nightmares all over again. I choked and gasped, clawing at the water around me- trying to propel myself forward- but their was nothing to push against below me. I was being sucked down into the depths. My body was shot down and I finally felt something solid as encroaching darkness began to decorate my vision. I kicked and cut through the water, my head burst from the cold waves and I coughed sucking in air. I splashed for a few moments, trying to get my bearings as the sound of a helicopter flew overhead. I looked up to see one of Rafes symbols on the side of the metal machine. "Shit." I swam for the shore and crawled out of the water, my hair dripping and clothes sticking to my body.  I rolled up onto my feet and watched the helicopter vanish into the clouds. I looked around for a way up, but the only way up for miles would be the cliffside. I took a deep breath, and began to climb my way up the rock. After a few minutes of painstakingly careful foot-placement I made it to the top.

Cassie- to my great joy and surprise was laying in the grass. "Cass?" I asked as I limped towards her frail body. She rubbed her head and groaned. "Oh thank god you're okay. What happened?" I asked her, helping the blonde girl to her feet. "Rafe, he- he... gave me this." she was swaying back and forth and holding her head . We needed to get her out of here. I took the piece of parchment from her hand and slipped it into my back pocket. "Did they take anything out of the workshop?" I asked her. She nodded. "They got alot of it- but. They left really suddenly, Rafe got a-" she coughed. "A call from someone, and he turned pale." I narrowed my eyes as we limped towards the bike. "Well, whatever that was- it might help us." I said. "If it makes o' powerful Rafe scared then its probably on our side." she nodded, and we got on the bike- heading back to the hotel.

Nate greeted us- his shocked gasp told me I was in for it. Cassie had a bump on her forehead, and bruises on her arms. I was covered in sea-water and bruises. "I would lecture you, but-" he gestured towards Aimi. She was struggling against the rope that held her in place. Her gold eyes turned on me and became filled with rage. "filius canis" she hissed. Latin "Aimi.." I walked carefully to her side. Her long black hair was no longer back, it was red now- it was still strange to see it. She snapped her jaw like a dog at me. "You dare show your face, you have hurt me and my sisters for the last time you filthy Irrumator" When the hell did she learn Latin. "Aimi you've been brainwashed, I dont know what you think you know- but-"

"I dont want to hear your words filthy demon. You spill lies like oil from a richmans well. You will lie to anyone to get your way, and our leader will put a stop to you."

"Rafe cant do shit to me, other then push me off stuff." I spat back at her.

She grinned, saying nothing.

I shook my head and paced away from her running my hand across my jaw. I heard her continue to struggle. "My sisters will come to save me!" she spat. "You have hurt all of us for the last time, there will be no more betrayals."

"How did you get her memories." I shouted, slamming my fists on the bedspread next to her metal body. The echoing crunch of bedsprings bounced through the wood room. She stared at me, her eyes emotionless. "They are our memories, we were given them and they are all we know- we know that Samuel Drake must die... and the world must be conquered in order to remember." I took a shaky breath. Rafe, he'd brainwashed these woman but taking their memories and promising salvation when the job was done....

"How is this possible."

She ran her tongue across her lips. "Read the paper."

I pulled the paper from my back pocket, I'd almost forgotten about it. It was a note-