Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter thirty-two

They drugged me, as I screamed and cried about Samuel- maybe he'd survived- but the drugs had overtaken my brain and I could think anymore. The two chattered quietly, but I couldn't hear them just a buzz coming from the left and the right. I didnt know how long it was, but we eventually stopped and it got dark. They picked me up and dragged me out of the zepplien and down the ramp leading into some... castel? I couldnt make it out, everything was blurry. They dumped me at the foot of a throne, I think. A loud sigh echoed through the room. "How much sedative did you give her, 80193" it was a voice. "Enough, I think... I might have overdosed it. Slightly." the second one laughed. "70918, get her fitted up- and do something about that hair- please." I felt cold hands on my arms and I was dragged across the cold stone to another room. They strapped me down and began to cover my head in hair dye. What were they doing...

I felt a cold sharp pain in my arm and I looked down to see a knife cutting through my skin. I screamed as blood began to dripp from the cut. A woman in white with a silver doctors mask came to my side, she slipped something into the wound as I struggled against her sobbing as the pain became to much. I screamed so much I couldnt anymore. A pair of cold hands held me down as the metal was cut into my skin. I sobbed, tears rolling down my cheeks as they did the same thing with every other limb.

They injected some sort of bronze liquid into my body and I felt pain starting from my spin and working its way up to my head. I writhed in pain, crying and screaming- trying to get away- but the ties held me down. "80193, hold her down- god damnit." a voice came from the white doctors mask. She strapped a metal bar to each body part, slipping a golden cage over my ribcage. Then she pulled a pair of tongues out of a nearby forge, the number "00091" could be read across the metal. She pressed it into the back of my head and I cried out as the scent of searing flesh entered my nose.

She unstrapped me and I crumpled forward, pain was everywhere. I wanted to crumple over and die. One of the others grabbed my metal fitted arm. She held my head up as the doctor positioned a blinding white light over my eyes. "This might hurt." then... nothing.

-

"They have Aimi!" I said to Nathan.

My brother stared at me. "Sam, what- Sam- slow down what happened."

I must have been a sight to behold, covered in blood, bruises, oil and dirt.

"They attacked us, they took- Aimi-" I choked out, doubling over onto the carpet of the shitty motel. My stomach hurt, everything hurt.

"Who attacked you, what are you talking about." Nathan said, grabbing my shoulders as I knelt over on the motel floor.

"What do we do, we have to find them- the zeppelins... they are huge- surely they will be easy to find." I stumbled up but the pain in my body beat me and Nathans strong hands pushed me back to the ground. "Sam, calm down- we cant do anything for Aimi." I stared at him, fear in my eyes as he helped me stand then sat me down on the bed. My brother grabbed a towel and began to dab the blood from my face. I winced, but he was being careful.

"I found a lead on rafe, his parents own a casino in Orlando Florida. I say we go there and see if they know anything." I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down but my heart continued to pound in my chest.

"What about the riddle...?" I whispered.

Nathan touched my arm with his left hand, looking into my eyes. His blue eyes were colored with gray and yellow, reflections from the rain outside and the light of the lamp behind us. His eyes were just like our mothers, almost exactly. Sometimes when we were younger, I would pretend that it was my mothers eyes looking at me in his skull... protecting me and guiding me on the right path. It was a hard thing for me, when I was barely 18- to be tasked with protecting my brother. IT had always been...

Just..

Us.

"Sam."

I Blinked and shot my head up to see Elena and Cassie standing at the door frame. "What happened?" Elena said, walking towards her husband and I. "Those cyborg fuc- idiots... pack a punch." I muttered, changing my word choice mid sentence because of the look of steel Elena gave me. She didn't want anyone to swear around Cassandra. "They took Aimi- but we have no idea were." Nathan chimmed in. "We should split up, I'll go with Sam to Ireland- Elena and Victor you can take Orlando." he said. Cassie piped up. "I want to go with dad and Sam." she said, looking at her mother. Elenas hazel eyes narrowed slightly, she looked to her husband- then to me. "Okay." she said, touching her daughter's hair. "You're seventeen now, you can make your own choices." Elena smiled, planting a kiss on Cassies forehead.

I looked out the window, I felt my eyes droop slightly and I yawned watching the water drip down the glass. I felt cold all of a sudden, and distant- like the world was moving away from me. I couldnt quite move my head or body... I took a deep breath and suddenly I felt like I was underwater. I couldnt move, anything- I tried to scream and breathe but no air would enter my body. I felt cold metal on my foot. I looked down to see Rafe- but it wasnt rafe- it was a skeleton... completely made from metal. Its eyes glowing red under the dark green water. Black bubbles pooled from its joints. I was being drowned... Like Alaya... I felt the necklace slip from my neck and float upward. Then the darkness absorbed me.

"Sam!"

I shook my head, as Nathan shook my shoulders. "Sam, are you okay? You were shaking and gasping like you couldnt breathe." I shivered, the choking sensation fading from my neck. "I'm.. fine- Im just. I need to sleep." Nathan pushed me softly towards the top of the bed. "Sleep in here tonight. I'm worried about you big 'bro." he knuckled the top of my head affectionately. I swatted at him, mustering a soft laugh. I wouldnt be sleeping tonight... Rafes metal eyes were to fresh in my memory... was that what Alaya felt like as she was dragged down into the darkness... absorbed by the void.