Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-two

"Holy shit." Nathan's voice cut through the trees ahead of me. We had made it to libertalia, sneaking around the back of Averies palace- avoiding all the Mercs and Rafe's watchful eyes. I raced over, a bloody body was laying in the mud. It took me a second to recognize Alaya's face. "Holy, shit- did he kill her?" I asked as Nathan put his ear to her mouth. "No, I've got a very small amount of breath." He hoisted her up. "Wait- Nate." he stared at me. "Dont you think it would be better to let her die?" I asked him. Nathans face twisted slightly. "No, Sam. She was probably betrayed by Rafe- we should patch her up. She can help us."

"She wants my head, Nathan."

"She'll want Rafe's more after this."

He pulled bandages from his pack and cut her shirt away from the massive gash on her left side. It was oozing blood and pus. Who knows how long she had been out here. He applied disinfectant then began to wrap the cut. .The pain woke her up, she opened her eyes to see my brothers face. Sheer confusion on her face. She took a second to process what was going on, our eyes met for a split second before I looked away. I did not want to see her, I didnt want to hate her- but I could feel the rage cutting into my very soul. She had hurt my brother, my family- but now was not the time for revenge. "What happened." Nathan asked her. She touched her forehead, taking a deep breath. "Rafe, he- betrayed me. Pushed me out the window... I got a chance." she took a deep breath. "He planted Averies journal, it was filled with information on his relationship with Grace. Avery and grace, they were together- they had a son... Thomas Tew told Grace of what Avery was planning- she betrayed Avery... Then she betrayed Thomas... but in the end Thomas killed their son and Grace deserted Avery- leaving him to his fate." she coughed. "Rafe, he seems to think that history will repeat itself- that I am Grace O'Malley, and you." she gestured her head towards me. "Are Henry Avery."

I looked up at the palace. "We need to stop him, this is insane." she struggled up, Nathan helping her stand. "I'll put him in the ground, myself." I touched her shoulder. "Alaya, you're badly injured." she scowled at me. "I dont care, I'm going to end that son of a bitch. I'm sick of being double crossed!" she began to stalk towards the house. We raced after her. "Wait we need a plan-" to late, she kicked the back door open and ran at one of the Mercs. He fired on sight, obviously Rafe had told them to kill her if they saw her. She- despite the fact she was bleeding- kicked the merc in the shin and took his gun. Shooting the mercs that ran at us.

"Alaya jesus christ." I muttered. "Rafe" she roared into the palace. I heard movement above us then in a cloud of dust Rafe appeared. He really liked that robotic arm. "I should have left you to die." she snarled. "Well, you didnt- so I guess this is the part where." he pulled a charge from his pocket. "Move!" she screamed, pushing Nathan and I as Rafe hit the button. The floor exploded out from under us, collapsing down. Alaya was behind us, she began to fall down. Her body being sucked down by gravity. I reached out and grabbed her hand. Keeping her from careening down into the darkness.

I pulled her up and she gripped the side of one of the walls. Rafe stood across from us, he had a golden pistol in his metal hand. He aimed it towards us and began to fire. Alaya made a run for the left while Nathan and I took the right. She jumped across one of the hanging beems that had held on through the explosion. She landed next to Rafe and landed a swift punch to his gut. He groaned kneeling over as her elbow came down hitting his head. Rafe went down smacking his chin into the floorboards. She grabbed the gun from his hand pointing it at him. Rafe grinned, time slowed down as I watched him roll over the side vanishing into the collapsed floor. His metal hand wrapping around Alaya's ankle. Taking her down with him. I reached out for her as she was tugged down. They both vanished, without thinking I jumped wrapping the rope around a beam in the center of the hole then I jumped down. Sailing down, the hole was massive it was reaching down below the house and into the ground. I fell towards her as my rope grew shorter and shorter by the second. She reached for me and I managed to grab her. Stopping her from the deathly fall. Rafe grinned as he was sucked into the darkness. We hung on the rope, suspended in the air by god knows how many feet. It was dark, aside from the small amount of light coming from the top of the hole. "You saved me..." she whispered, holding on to the rope and me as Nathan dragged us up back towards daylight.

"History wont repeat itself here..." I said as we reached the top swinging over across the hole landing on some remaining floorboards. "I'm not Henry Avery, and you're not Grace O'malley- your Alaya Guillory and I'm Samuel Drake." I placed my hand over her heart. "We've both made mistakes, but I don't intend to follow the path of Avery. Hatred of those who betrayed him and insanity." I said, holding her hands in mine. She looked up at me, smiling and letting out a soft sob before wrapping her arms around my shoulders. "I'm sorry." I pulled her closer, putting my left hand on the back of her head. "I know."

Nathans voice cut into the warm moment. "Guys, we still need to find my wife, daughter and honorary father!" I glanced up at him. "We probably have to go down there." Alaya pointed to the black void. I shivered, but nodded. We all hooked our ropes then jumped down. Sailing down into the darkness. My rope stopped after a few minutes of falling. I couldn't see anything, it was pitch black. "Sam, your lighter." Nathan said. I nodded pulling it from my pocket and shining a light into the pitch black cave. I could see the ground just below us. I stepped down, it was farther then I thought so I fell into a puddle. It was water. The lighter went out. "Fuck!" I grumbled as I heard two other splashes next to me.

A flashlight light came from Alaya. "You had one of those, that whole time and you made me ruin my lighter." she grinned at me. "Revenge." I glared at her as Nathan helped me up. We began to walk though the pitch black cave. There was no sign of Rafe. God knows where that robotic son of a bitch ran off to. We picked up the pace when we saw a sliver of light ahead. We reached a collapse. All three of us pushed against the rocks. We walked out onto a small ledge as the rocks fell away. We were overlooking Averies ship. There was a boat below us. The sound of gears clicking caught my attention I sidestepped as Rafe flew down from above us. He grabbed Nathan and flew towards the boat. "Nathan!" I yelled, jumping after them. Rafe landed on the boat with my brother. He had become superhuman with those robot parts. That arm gave him unnatural strength and speed. He took off. "See you in Libertalia- assholes!" I landed in the water and swam towards the other boat. Alaya climbed in after me and we hit the engine, racing after Rafe. Alaya fired shots into his boat, trying to incapacitate it but it was much faster than ours. He vanished around a corner. We followed closely behind but he was gone by the time we go there. .