Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

We arrived in London the next day, in the evening. I was happy to be away from Paris, we got a shitty motel that was close to the Museum. Nate and I planned to strike during night, just before the museum closed. We would sneak through the vents and into the room where they had placed the Journal- just like we had done with Averies cross. Sully would cut the power, and we'd snatch the journal.

Aimi hadnt said much to me since I'd yelled at Nate, I think I scared her- rarely did I get really angry. I was the passive aggressive type of mad, I'd act like It didnt matter then do something childish to show them that I really was angry. I'd done that plenty of times to her, hit her phone... smashed a lamp. You know, stupid things. I was a grown man and sometimes I acted like I was still twenty-two. I mean, I didnt rot away for fifteen years in a prison. Nathan and I walked up to the Museum. Our heavy jackets pulled over our heads, It was spring in London but it was still cold as hell. My breath clouded up around my face, as I exhaled. We bought our tickets and walked into the massive building, the vents we were going for were in the mens bathroom. They had no cameras in there, so we would be safe from prying eyes. We arrived and I climbed into the vent, Nathan watched the door. I crawled through the dutch's towards the central room they kept the journal at. Nathan was waiting there, 'casually admiring' the artworks of Henry Avery. I snuck above him. "Sam." Nates voice quietly entered my left ear. "What." I hissed back.

I could see him standing in front of something through the holes in the vent. I could barely make out a painting of... A red headed woman. It must have been Grace, but It wasn't the 'typical' Grace- the royal queen of the seas. It was her, holding a small child in her arms. She was covered in white cloth, that small child must have been their son. "The depiction says that this was a painting Avery did of a woman he met while on his travels, he was fascinated by her and her caring motherly nature..." nate whispered. "But, in the painting there is a very faint outline of the riddle." he said. I shifted in the cage of cold metal, feeling those cold hands on my neck again. "Get in position." I said as I stood over the vent I would kick down to grab the journal then slip it to Nathan.

"Go."

The lights flashed off an suprised screams echoed through the halls, I jumped through the vent crushing the glass around the journal with my foot. Snatching the journal and throwing it to my brother, we dove out of the room as the backup generator powered on. We vanished through the backdoors were Sullivan waited. We all casually walked down the street. The journal tucked safely away in Nathans jacket. People ran screaming from the building as we turned a corner and slipped smoothly into the car.

We arrived back at the hotel and Nathan tossed the journal towards me. "Heres that damn journal you needed so bad." he growled. Nate was still mad at me about yesterday, I couldnt blame him.. We were strange siblings. We had never really 'fought' we didnt have any material possessions to fight over and no parents to squabble with- we'd always been close, my promise to protect him was what kept us both going... but now he was a grown ass man, with a family- and the life that I'd always been stuck in kept following him. It was like a shadow to my body, it followed me and I followed him.

I flipped open the journal and began to read.

"Henry. Look!"

I smiled as our tiny son began to crawl across the marble floors of the massive palace. We were in my castle in ireland, my two other children sitting on the stone floors looking at their youngest brother giggling and crawling towards Henry- the other two did not know Henry was Murroughs real father. To them, Henry was a family friend. Margaret was playing with her hair while she watched the baby. Margarets father was a duke of this land and frankly he was an ass. He'd only wed me for my beauty, but it worked in my favor. I'd gained political power from my position. Henry picked the small boy up and returned him to me, I was sitting on the red couches in my bedroom. The two other children coloring on old parchment with charcoal. Henry visited often, he would bring me news of his big plans- although he refused to tell me about it. Avery sat down on the couch next to me. "Surely you must miss the open sea, lass." he said to me. I snuggled up in the thick blankets. "I do, but my children come first- one day they will be old enough to join me on the open water and maybe one day command a ship of their own." my eyes landed on my eldest son, Owen. At the time he was seven, Margaret was four and little Murrough was barely two months old. Owen had dark brown hair, blue eyes to match. His pale skin was decorated in delicate freckles, his younger sister looked like me. Fiery red hair, freckled with green eyes. Her hair was extremely curly it would always bounce back when ever I would try to brush it out flat. Murrough looked more similar to his father, strawberry-blonde hair and green eyes. I sighed quietly, the life of a pirate was hard- and the life I was trying to give them was hard. These three would be faced with plenty of problems in their coming years... but I would be there for them.

Avery shifted as Owen stood, walking over to me. He placed his hand on the childs head, running his small fingers through his strawberry-blonde hair. "When can I play with him." he asked me. I laughed petting my sons hair. "He'll be big and strong like you one day, dont worry."

The page ended with a drawing of her three children, signed in "A.H" at the bottom... I chuckled softly. "I never took Avery to be an artist, let alone a family man."

"He was a human, just like all of us." sully said, lighting a cigar. "He was flawed, but I think he did really care about Grace."

I flipped the page to more drawings, this time done by grace. She drew the children, most of the time. Once or twice their was a drawing of Henry- but it was hard to tell if it was really him.

I found one more journal entry at the back. The last one.

"They are dead. All of them, dead. They died because of him, I couldn't protect my children and now my crew is gone... they mutinied when I returned from the cave with no treasure. They threw me in a lifeboat and cut the rope. I hope the bastards rot, or crash on some island." little did she know, they actually had crashed on an island- "I dont know what to do, I want to drown myself... but I wont, for my childrens sake. I'll live on and keep going, they would want that for me."

The page ended and I shut the book. "Nothing about the-"

Like in a movie, the wind brushed through the window and the book opened to the very last page- the corner had been tucked onto the page in front of it. I pulled it open slowly, it was a drawing of the same Sigil rafe was using with the riddle again... written in blood.

I shivered and cringed, dropping the dusty book while looking at the morbid scene on the paper. Blood, god knows whos blood- but it was definitely dried blood she'd written that in... under the dried blood and the sigil their was a name. It was tiny... but I could just make out "Cape Clear Island."

"What."

I whispered. "Cape.. Clear." I pulled up my phone and searched up the name- it was a seaside town in Ireland. I rubbed my chin. "I guess we go there." I said. "Sam." Sully shook his head. "That is Grace O'malleys insanity writing, its written in blood. What the hell is in Cape Clear?" he said. "She just wrote, Cape Clear." I said. Sully sighed. "We cant keep chasing our tails like this, I say we find Rafe and deal with him."

I stood up, pushing my chair out from under me. It hit the ground with a crash. "Thats what he wants! We cant just run up and face him, I think Grace knew something about Averies contraptions- the ones Rafe is using... and we'll find him were we find Grace. Hes obviously chasing her." I said. Sully took a deep breath of the cigar. "This is insane, we are not going to find anything in Cape Clear. I think we need to go home, and figure this out. This Grace thing is a dead end." I scowled. "Both you and Nathan?" I scoffed, picking up the journal and putting it in my back pocket. "Fine, if you wont help me. I'll go by myself." I opened the door to see Aimi standing there, she'd been eavesdropping. "I'll go with you." she said. I glared at Sully as he looked at me, disappointment in his brown eyes.

"Lets figure this out, we dont need them." I grumbled as I stormed down the motel hallway and out into the London air. "Lets go to a Coffee shop and book some flights." She said to me, her pale nose and face turning pink in the cold air. I nodded and we walked down the street, the crowds walked around us. Some on their phones, some chatting with their friends. Just, people. Humans. As I went to push open the glass door to the coffee shop I felt the cold hands again and I whipped around. One of the creatures was standing across the road from us, wearing a white coat. It was the one from Paris. I grabbed Aimis hand. "Run."