Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-nine

Nathan, Elena and Cassie arrived in the morning. Jetlagged and dirty from the mexican sun, they piled into our room. Nathan tossed his phone at me. "Look at the photos." he muttered as he laid down on the bed letting out a low sigh. He was getting old, just like me. With age came a lack of energy- I was amazed that he could still jump around like he did. I opened the phone and scrolled through his photos, the last few were pictures of Averies cell. The same cryptic message covered the stone walls written in oil- the same as before. "Upon sunset wings, the red haired angel will sing burning the throats of the men weak" it could be made out, cogs and gears covered the floor. "Fucking hell." I whispered, looking through the photos. "Rafe has gone completely insane." I whispered to my brother.

Nathan sighed quietly. "Tell me something I dont know." I chuckled, thumbing the phone as I listened to the French rain. "This is the riddle we found written under Grace O Malleys painting on her broken old ship.... This obviously has something to do with Grace." I opened the browser on the phone and typed her name in. The most recent article was about an pirate exhibition coming to Natural History Museum in London... including Henry Averies paintings and Grace 'o Malleys journal." I shut the phone off and tossed it at my brother. "I know were we are going and what we are stealing next." I said to him. Nate looked up at me, his blue eye filled with curiosity than concern. "Sam no."

"The natural history Museum- we have to get Graces journal." I said to him. Nate sighed loudly. "Sam, this is crazy- maybe we should just go home and forget about it..."

"What? Go home and forget about the crazy half robot people flying around. Who knows what Rafe is plotting- god knows how many of those he has in his arsenal." I said. "He could kill countless people!"

Nates eyebrows sunk on his strongly featured face. "We are old, sam. This life is not kind to us... we need to let go of this crazy reality that we can be treasure hunters our whole lives. I have a family, a child. I cant go chasing fairy tails and dead people anymore."

I scowled as my brother stood, standing in front of me.

"Nathan, we cant give up now- you cant possibly say you dont want to find Rafe and make him pay."

"You are the one who wants to make Rafe pay, sure I hate the guy but your being swallowed by obsession again Sam."

"Nathan-"

"Dont Nathan me, your falling into that same pit were you obsessed over Averyes treasure and now its over Grace and Rafe. I dont know what we are going to do about Rafe, but I dont think Grace has a connection to him."

I scowled, gritting my teeth. Nathan could be so dense and stubborn sometimes, he couldnt see what was right infront of us. Rafe had some sort of sick obsession with Grace and we needed to get her journal. Rafe had been fascinated by the connection between Thomas, Grace and Henry. We still had no idea what that riddle ment, and I was going to find out. "Fine, if you wont help me-"

The door swung open, Sully was holding his phone- the white light illuminating his aging face. "Look." he said, shoving it to Nathan. The video footage playing on his phone was footage of a mass of Zeppelins flying over Itlaiy. There were five, each were silvery-white with a golden mark on the side. It was a skull and crossbones but instead of crossbones it was a pair of wrenches behind the skull and the top of the bone was replaced with the top of a gear. "Rafe." I whispered.

The Zeppelins were massive in size and scope, the reporter spoke Italian but english subtitles flashed across the screen. "These massive Zeppelins are reported to be owned by a private entrepreneur... Rafe Adler." the white text read. "The Italian government has reported these Zeppelins to be harmless but they are to be escorted from the country by helicopter-" Sully turned the phone off. "The guy has five fucking Zeppelins." I said, glaring at my younger brother.

"How do we even know its Rafe." he retorted. It was true that we had no hard evidence, but everything pointed to rafe. "Who else." I snapped back.

Nathan rolled his shoulders. "We could be chasing, someone else- someone who has no connection to the things we've found in Averies cells- those Zepplins could belong to anyone-"

"They said, Rafe Adler!" I shouted.

My voice echoed through the hotel room, Aimi glanced up from her packing. Elena moved in front of Cassie and Nathan took a few steps back. "Fine...I'll play along, Sam." he said his voice cold. "I just didnt want to see you get hurt, but if you insist on hurting yourself and everyone around you- be my guest." he left the room, slamming the door behind him causing the walls to shake. Elena and Cassie rushed after my little brother, leaving me, Aimi and Sullivan standing in the room. I sat down on the bed, burying my head in my hands. Maybe this was just a mad goose chase... I could just be running in a circle chasing my tail like an insane dog- but I had to try. For her.