Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-eight

Aimi put the photo down, sensing I didn't want to talk about it. "You obviously loved her, alot." she said quietly. I shrugged my shoulders, walking coldy away from her and the office. I couldnt stand to be in there a second longer. I didnt want to be in this house anymore. Sully walked up to me as he put his phone into his pant pocket. "Nathan and Elena found some strange stuff in Averies cell, including one or two of those... things." Sully said. "I dont know what Rafes game is here, but I feel like its getting worse by the second." the old man said as he ran his hand along the nape of his neck in discomfort. This would only get worse from here, exoskeletons on mercenaries...not to mention the mercs were strange. They seemed, robotic- they were definitely humans wearing exoskeletons but there actions and voices seemed... wrong. Rafe was an evil mastermind in a shitty sci-fi movie, and I had to stop him.

I walked up the dust covered stairs towards the bedrooms, white tarps covered some of the furniture as I walked past it the fabric brushed against my leg. I pushed open the door to Alaya's room. What I saw, scared me half to death. There were parts of, machines lying around on the floor. Writing in oil covered the walls. ""Upon sunset wings, the red haired angel will sing burning the throats of the men weak." it read, over and over across the once white walls. Cogs and gears sat on the bed and the floor. The windows were smashed and most of her stuff was missing. "What... the fuck."

Aimi appeared behind me, she gasped quietly seeing the room. I stepped forward to let Sully and her pile into the room. They stepped carefully over the metal. Grease stains covered the carpet and bedspread I walked around towards the balcony looking out over the yard and towards the eiffel tower. "Rafe." Sully whispered. This was defenetly something Rafe would leave behind, the cogs and the mess all over a dead girls bedroom. Aimi pulled something from Alaya's bedside drawer. "Look." She whispered, handing a small journal to me. Henry Avery. Was inscribed on the front. "Henrys journal..." I whispered, flipping the book open. It opened to the last page, past the part where he had written. The pages filled with sketches, waterwheels.... Lifts... all the stuff Nathan had described to me. Even designs for very similar Exoskeletons that Rafes ladies wore. "Rafe... you peice of shit." I muttered. "Stealing from the dead, classy." I shut the journal and slipped it into my back pocket. Sullivan took a photo of the room then we left, I was happy to be out of the the house. It was haunting, I didnt want to think about her, her rotting things... or her rotting body at the bottom of the ocean. We piled into the car, heading back towards the hotel. "Why did they take Aimi." I thought aloud to Sully. "She could have grabbed me, Rafe hates me and Nathan not Aimi." I muttered. Aimi shifted in the back seat. "Maybe, its... a make you pay in the worst way thing. Taking your loved ones?" she said. I rubbed my head. "Rafe played that card aleady, we are two steps ahead of him with that. I dont think he is that dumb." I muttered quietly, my mind racing trying to figure out what his game was. We pulled into the hotel and myself and Aimi went to our room.

I sat down on the bed, looking out the window into the paris rain. I watched it drip down the glass as Aimi sat down across from me. We still hadnt talked about why she'd come with us at all, and why she'd decided to stick by me even though she didnt know me at all. I glanced over at her. "Why."

"What?"

"Why did you stay with me, even after all this- im not the person you thought I was and I will never be."

Aimi smiled, touching my hand with her small soft one. "Because I love you, Samuel drake." I glared at her, for some reason I felt like I was... betraying Alaya. I was in her home town, a year after she'd died- sitting next to my loving girlfriend of 8 months... and yet, I didnt want to be near Aimi. I stood up suddenly, leaving the room briskly and slamming the door behind me. "Sam!-" she yelped in surprise as I stormed out of the hotel room and down the hallway. I walked out of the hotel and into the paris rain, walking down the street as the water pelted down on me. I walked in silence, the busy people ignoring me. As I turned a corner, my eyes lifted from the wet pavement- before me a figure stood in the rain. She was smiling, her body glowing in a white light. She held her hand out to me, I stared- I wanted to reach out to her... but I couldn't move my arms.

Her mouth moved slightly. "Why did you let me die?" I saw her mouth. "I didn..t" I choked out through the heavy rain it felt like the cold rain had become a pair of hands, wrapping around my throat stopping my voice from exiting my lungs.

I was knocked back into reality when someone shoved into my back. "Watch it." a husky voice snarled as its owner snaked around me. I shook my head, she was gone... but I could feel the cold hands on my neck. I turned around and went back to the hotel, I shouldnt have stormed out like that. I was acting like a child. Aimi was supporting me and she was there for me, and what did she get in return. Cold shoulders and angry glares. I sighed as I pushed open the door to the hotel. Aimi was sitting in the same spot I'd left her in. "Sam, what is wrong with you- you never act like this." she said as I sat down on the bed, covered in rainwater.

"I'm sorry, I'm just... having alot of flashbacks. I dont like being here in Pairs, near her...memories." I muttered. "I tried to kill her, you know- I pushed her off a balacony fifty stories up. The woman lived, I was pretty damn sure nothing could kill her- but... I guess we are all human right." I let out a low laugh, it wasn't a real laugh it was a sad laugh filled with angst and loss. Aimi touched my shoulder. "I know its hard... but shes dead, Samuel- you have to stop living in the past." I looked over at her, heaving a heavy sigh. "I know, its just... why is Rafe alive while shes dead?" I slammed my fists on my knees. "Rafe, that peice of shit- the person who is probably the embodiment of the devil still walks this earth while the love of my life is fucking dead!" I yelled, kicking the bedside table over in a fit of rage. Aimi stared at me, she moved away slightly as I threw my little fit. "Sam." she touched my arm after I calmed down a little. "Your brother, and his family are safe because of her... you have to stop this, there is nothing you can do." she whispered to me. I shook slightly, a wave of sadness washing over my body. She was right, I couldnt keep beating myself up over it... it just, felt so fresh... being here in Paris. In NYC I'd been able to fade into the 'normal' life, nothing in newyork reminded me of her- the only thing I could bear to keep was the necklace. I felt it sitting on my chest.... Right above my heart. A steady reminder that I would never, really forget.