Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter Thirty-seven
Nate tied up Eris in one of the old chairs, she struggled and snapped at him like a dog. "Eris, we dont want to hurt you- we just want to know what you know." Nate said, we'd planned the good-cop bad-cop thing. I of course, wanted to be bad-cop. I'd almost fallen off a jet plane for that woman. I wasnt about to be 'nice' Lilita gritted her teeth, glaring at us. "I'm not going to tell you shit." I grabbed the collar of her lab coat. "I got something that might change your mind." My hand reached for the gun in my back pocket, but Nathan stopped me- instead he removed the slip of paper Rafe had given Cassie.
He read it to her. Her eyes clouded and widened slightly. Nate placed it in her lap, the woman stared at the slip of parchment. "He..."
"Sold you out, yup." I grumbled. "Rafe ol'boy loves to sell his allies out." Lilitas eyes narrowed. "How do I know your not lying."
Nathan shrugged, pacing around her. "Because, we would have never found this place if it wasnt for that note. I'm guessing here, but I think that Rafe sold you out- He wanted to trade you for Aimi. A soldier is more useful than a scientist in a war."Nate said. I watched my brother, he was great at this- I could already see her cracking. The Doctors brown eyes remained sceptical as she watched my brother pace around her. "Rafe would never do that to me, I am his top scientist- I built all the shit he makes his mercs wear." she spat. "Without me he would be nothing!" I tucked my hands into my jacket pockets, rocking back and forth on my heels. "Are you sure, you couldnt have been the only scientist that he hired." I said to her.
"No- but.."
"Then he doesnt need you, Rafe will replace anyone in a heartbeat. He probably thought we would kill you, I bet you know all sorts of juicy stuff about him." I glared at her.
She struggled against the restraints. "No, I dont buy it. This is fake, Rafe would never sell me out!" she was lying to herself now, I could see the fear in her eyes.
"Tell us where to find him, and we'll give you your revenge."
My voice echoed through the old building, bouncing off the emerald walls and dancing through the warm hawaiian air.
Eris took a deep breath. "I know Rafes past, I should have expected this...  He is in Washington state- deep in the olympic peninsula forests. He has a base there, similar to this- unassuming... inside a massive cave. You cant find it, unless your on foot." She said. "I have told you were he is, now- release me." she growled. I narrowed my eyes, but my brother did as she asked. I took a deep breath and exhaled the warm air as the doctor began to pack up her things. Victor and Elena were sitting on the wing of the jetplane. Cassie playing with Vicky on the ground. Nathan looked over his family, then to me. I was lighting a cigarette, I really did need one. Today had been just, one of those days. "I'm not going with you."
I almost choked on the smoke in my mouth. "What."
"Sam, dont get me wrong- I do want to best Rafe at this point... but, I cant put Elena and Cassie in danger. I have a daughter, a Wife. Sam. I should have put my foot down back in Paris- but I really mean it this time. I wont come after you."
I glared at my little brother. "Your just going to leave me to do this on my own." Nathan touched my shoulder. "I dont want to have to choose between my brother or my wife and daughter- but you are not going to give this up."
"Rafe is a danger to all of us, not just me." I spat back.
"I'm going to stay here, and protect Elena and Cassie- its not safe to leave them." I stomped out my cigarette. "Fine. You've made your choice."
I stalked to the jet, slipping into the back seat as Victor climbed into the front. "Stay safe." Elena said to us. I just grunted, glaring out the glass of the cockpit. "We'll be back, with Rafes head as a trophy." Victor hit the gas and we shot out of the warehouse, soaring into the air. I watched the three specks fade into the green, then the green turn to blue. "I thought that Nathan would want to stand by me, as a family." I muttered quietly, I was hurt by his choice- but I understood. He wanted to protect his wife and daughter. His family, but... the thing was. I was his family to.