Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

She'd let me get close to her, I was happy I had made my choice to not kiss her. Instead talk to her, that seemed to be much more meaningful to her. We'd sat and watched the sunrise together, her body snuggled in my side. Then she'd left to get her things together so we could be ready for the boat ride to the airport then to Ireland. I packed my stuff and waited for the others on the dock. Victor joined me. "Whoever is sending us on all these ridiculous quests, is an asshole. They sent us all the way down to the british virgin islands just to send us back to ireland. What a dick." Victor muttered as he lit a cigar. I snorted. "Tell me about it."

I was surprised he wasnt more worried about Nathan and Elena, we hadnt really spoken about theme since the exploding phone thing. I think deep down, we were all hoping they were okay- but with people like this... the worst was a possibility. I shut the thought out, this was my brother we were talking about, he'd learned how to handle himself. Even if he'd let himself get a little mushy over the years of retirement. He could still kick anyones ass, he was a Drake after all.

Cassandra and Alaya joined us and we boarded the boat, taking off towards the main island. Within hours we were up in the air and flying towards Ireland- this time we had left the flying up to Sully. We couldn't trust anyone anymore.

We took the same plane, it had been cleaned clear of blood since our last little 'scene'. It was almost a thirteen hour flight. So I got comfy in the plush chairs, Alaya curling up in a blanket next to me and drifting off. We'd been awake since four AM. She'd earned a nap. Cassie sat across from us, a smug smile on her face. "I knew she'd come around." she said. I yawned and looked at my little niece in curiosity. "What?"

"I knew she'd realize what she really wanted." Cassandra said. Her arms folded triumphantly, like she had won a war. "The wars not won yet." I muttered. Running my hand through the sleeping womans red hair. She nodded, smiling. I was glad that she could atleast take some joy in this dark time.

I watched the clouds sail by the window in silence. We had a long ride ahead of us... I had some time to think. Grace O'Malley. A powerful pirate queen, born into riches and fortune. She had an easy life from the start but instead of taking the lazy road she took the reckless and fun one. She was notoriously known for making her enemies pay. She and Alaya shared alot of similarities. Was it possible that whoever was chasing us down, had also made that connection? Then what did Henry Avery have to do with it, I'd thought we had buried the hatchet with him under a pile of rocks in the madagascar sea long ago. Apparently not.

I read through the journal I had started keeping, Like Nathan used to do. It was easy to keep information on hand instead of trying to remember it. I drew a small chart with Henry Averys name and Grace O'Malleys name next to it. I tapped my pencil on my chin and stared at the paper for a few moments before I began to write down everything we knew about the two.

Grace- Rich, powerful, caused a havoc if she didnt get what she wanted, had several husbands. 'Queen of the pirates]

Henry- Selfish, a liar, the literal king of pirates..

I stopped writing as I wrote the 'King of Pirates' I stared at the paper then over to Alaya. That was it.

I shook Alaya awake, she groaned and looked at me, her green eyes drooping and glaring at me through a haze of sleep. "What Sam." she muttered. "Henry avery, he was the king of pirates- and you know who was the queen. Grace." I said, shaking the journal at her. She stared at me, her face blank. "What does that have to do with anything."

"The coin, we found. Its similar to Averys, right?" I said, showing her the two coins. "Maybe there was, more then just eight lords of Libiertalia- Grace was well known and rich, powerful to. Perhaps Avery used her to get closer to the queen- trick her into thinking he was dead by using Grace.I mean, every king needs a queen. Right?" I said excitedly. "This opens a whole new chapter about Avery- who knows what other pirates he could be connected to." She blinked slowly at me. "Grace, was an irish pirate- how the hell would she have met Avery." she yawned.

"Avery regularly raided british camps along the european cost, perhaps they met there. He probably knew her worth, and invited her to join Libertalia... " I gazed at the coin.

"Thats nice Sam.' she muttered before passing back out on the chair.

I chuckled at her, then continued to read through the journal.

--

We arrived in Dublin, it was raining and cold. Much different from the islands we had just been on. Once we landed, Alaya slipped off to make a call. I'd noticed she had been on the phone more than usual. It was probably her job, she did kinda abandon them. We took a cab to a hotel for the night. Myself and Sully shared a room while Cassandra and Alaya took the one next door. I stared out the window into the irish countryside. Everything was very green, very green. A little too green in my opinion. I flopped down in the white sheets, letting out a low sigh. Sullivan put out is Cigar and flipped off the TV. "Alaya is a dangerous person you know." He said. "To people like us, especially." I sat up, looking at the old man. His face was riddled with concern. "Look, Sully- I talked to her. She is not unreasonable. We just need time, we will be okay." I said. Sullivan frowned slightly. "Your to gullible Sam, your blind to her beauty." I shrugged. "Thats your opinion, I can take care of myself. Thanks." I snapped at him. We didnt speak again that night.

In the morning we took a car to Cloughoughter Castle, Grace's old place. It was about a two hour drive in the rain. We reached our destination by high noon, the rain pouring down and covering the earth in a layer of gray water. The lake was huge, stretching for miles in different directions. At the center sat the island with the crumbling remains of the palace. We rented a boat and headed towards the palace. Alaya sat at the back, she was fidgeting with her pistol. Clicking the release over and over again as the boat got closer to the castel. Rain pelted us as we made a run to the palace, shutting the decaying doors behind us.

I stood in the main hall looking over the crumbling palace, scavengers had picked it clean but some old chairs remainded. Most covered in moss and being broken down by the soil. I set of stairs carved in the old stone could be seen just ahead. A mark on the stone below our feet indicated that their had been a rug here before.

I walked towards the end of the hallway, a flash of movement caught my eye and I backed up. "We arnt alone." I glanced around to see Alaya was gone. "Shit." I muttered. My eyes scanning the stone, trying to pick out what was up there. My eyes landed on something golden, sitting on one of the remaining stairs. Suddenly it moved out of the shadow it had sat in.

My eyes widened and I stared in disbelief at the creature before me. It hopped down from where it stood, I backed away in horror. "Samuel motherfucking Drake." the familiar voice entered my ears. "Rafe"