Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter thirty-five

We arrived at the O'malley gravesite. It was just as the drawing depicted- Three gravestones overlooking the ocean. Not much else besides some grass. The stones were old and worn, starting to fall apart. Cassie looked around for anything useful while I inspected the graves. The three children were buried in order, although I couldnt imagine that their bodies were actually here. They had been burned with Libertalia- no doubt. I read each of the inscriptions. "Here lies Owen, the great and strong. He will be sailing the seas in the skies, if he so desires." It read. Grace was strangely poetic. The next, Margaret- "Here lies Margaret, died at the side of her brother. Sword in hand, although she was a beautiful woman she had a fire in her eyes and burning embers in her soul." The last- Murrough. His grave-stone said nothing, but his name. Below his name was a small nick in the stone. I couldnt tell if it was deliberate or a crack. I touched it softly, trying to figure it out. "Cas. I got something." My neice wandered over to me, looking at the same crack. "It looks like.." she pointed to my chest. "Your necklace, might fit." I removed it from under my shirt and pressed the silver metal into the little slot. It clicked in, and I felt the earth move from under me. "No way..." It was like Averies contraption in Scotland- but instead of his 'fake grave' it was the grave of actual children. I stood up as the door slid and vanished under the grass. Cassie and I walked down the stone steps and into the cave. I coughed as the dust swirled its away into my lungs, waving my hand infront of my face. We entered a small room, it was dark- so I couldnt see much... but I tripped over something and I almost smacked my head into the ground. Cassie found a small oil lamp in the center of the room, she took my lighter and lit it. The cave illuminated with yellow light and we got a good look. It was... horrifyingly beautiful. There were massive, unfinished machines laying on the ground and one table. Cans of long forgotten oil sat near the metal pieces. I walked towards the one laying on the table, touching it with my hand. Feeling the bumps in the metal, and the cogs that were bound with dust. It was a suit of some kind, similar to the exoskeletons but they were ... full bodied suits. Designed to cover the outside of the body in its entirety. I picked up the finished helmet next to the body. It has a glass cover over the front, and metal surrounding the rest. It was its own, individual tank. The shit Grace could have done if she had finished her work... she could have taken over the world with all this. "We need to get some of this to Nathan." I said, picking up a singular cog from the table then turning from the room. Putting out the oil lamp on the way. Cassie followed me up the steps and out into the windy irish air. I dialed up Nate.

"Sam! You finally picked up, jesus- Aimi woke up... shes been-"

"No time, we found some stuff. Big stuff."

"Sam- seriously you'll want to hear this."

"Nathan, can't it wait. We found another one of Graces workshops!"

"Sam-!"

"Nathan, seriously- she was on to something big and if this falls into Rafes hands-"

"Its about Alaya."

I felt my breath catch in my throat, I almost crushed my phone with my hand. "What... What, are you talking about." I swallowed hard, my bial thick and sour in my throat. "Aimi, shes... talking about, stuff that happened to Alaya- like it happened to her. Shes, I dont know- brainwashed or something. She keeps saying that you tried to kill her, that you tried to ruin her life- and that their leader- Rafe- I'm guessing- will kill you and liberate all the people you hurt."

"What.. thats not possible."

Their was a scream of surprise, and my head shot up. "Sam whats going on!"

"Oh but... it is possible."

A familiar voice cut through the irish air, a grin on a familiar face greeted me. I dropped my phone, staring at none other than the spawn of the devil himself- Rafe.

Rafe held a golden pistol to the head of Cassie. He was smiling at me, he'd... made some, upgrades. Since we'd last met. His arm was much more complex now, and the metal half of his face was now covered in a realistic skin-mask- but you could still see the glow of metal and machine below the fax cosmetics. I balled my hands into fists and made a move towards him, I heard the gun click. "I wouldnt, Samuel darling." he laughed. "I'll blow this poor little girls brains out." He smiled at me, one of his eyes cold-gray the other a bright gold. "Now, I want to thank you... for finding Graces last workshop for me. I knew that necklace would serve a purpose." He chuckled softly. "Grace... was one hell of a woman. I respect her, so much. What shes done for me, is... incredible." He snapped his fingers and two of his lackies appeared from behind the hills. Stalking towards us, they were new ones- ones I hadnt seen yet. Their bodies were almost completely covered. Their faces coated in metal, aside from a thin slit across their eyes they were all bronze. "40700. Show him, your upgrades." Rafe chuckled, she pulled back a chunk of metal on her arm and a small gun clicked into place on her arm. "Grace, designed all this.... But, you know- she made it hard for me to find her greatest invention. The suit, made out of diamond and metal." he gestured to the cave behind me. "I want that, for myself... then my army will be completed." he grinned. "Rafe, your angry with Nathan and I- not the world. Dont do this." I said, moving in front of the entrance.

"Oh, Samuel- dont lie to yourself. You want me dead, just like everyone else on this planet... and you know, I don't care. I'm going to rip humanity apart, piece by piece." his laugh echoed through the air. "Your, fucking insane..." I made a move towards him and he pushed the gun closer to Cassie's head. She shook, tears budding in her eyes. "How, did you get... Aimi to think, that she is Alaya." I said, feeling rage burning through my body. "Oh, I'd love to stay and tell you my entire evil plot... Sam... but, you've got a ride to catch." he ran at me, faster than any human had ever moved before and I felt my body leave the ground and I was knocked back off the cliff, falling towards the water.