Long Nights [One Shot]

You woke up in the middle of the night to a cold bed. You lifted your head off of your pillow and glanced around. Your husband hadn't come to bed last night, and it was apparent that he didn't have plans to.

You got out of bed and stretched. You could hear faint thuds from down the hall--- probably from his office. You opened the bedroom door and quietly walked down the hall, shivering in his t-shirt that you wore. More thuds came from his office.

"Lex?" You reached out and opened the wooden door of Lex's office. It opened with a soft creak. Light illuminated from only one lamp that sat on his father's desk.

You noticed that your husband was standing in front of the desk; his palms pressed against the wood. Surrounding him were several empty bottles of liquor. The office chair was tipped, a shelf of books was broken on the floor. One of his expensive glasses was in shattered pieces that were all across the room.

"Lex," you whispered.

It was another one of those long nights.

"Don't---" he slurred. "Don't come any closer."

"Was it the nightmares again?" you questioned him softly. You walked across the carpet, being mindful of the shattered glass.

He nodded and gripped the desk. "Again." He scowled. He seemed disgusted with himself more than anything. Disgusted that he was unable to let go of what his father did to him. It ruined him all of the time--- even when he promised you that he would stop drinking himself into oblivion. "Again, again, again. Every single night--- mm-hm!"

"Come to bed," you pleaded gently. You reached up and grabbed his shoulders. Your fingers and palms moved to massage the tightness of his muscles. "Let me take care of you, babe."

"There's no taking care of me, my dear," he replied bitterly. You could smell the alcohol in his breath. "I'm too far gone to save."

"Don't say that," you said.

"It's true. All because I couldn't handle a few beatings from my father... I'm wasting away to nothing. Hm! Ironic, isn't it?" He grabbed the half empty bottle of liquor and brought it to his lips. You sighed as he chugged a lot of it down.

"That's enough," you said. You took the bottle from him and grabbed his hands. "No one should have gone through what you did, Lex. And no one should have to go through this alone."

"Hm... well---"

"Just come to bed with me, babe." You smiled and touched his arm. "Your Dad is gone. He can't touch you anymore. It's just you and me. Come to bed, it's late."

"No, just let me drink---" He reached for the bottle.

"No. Lex, you're done. Come to bed."

He glared at you with shining blue eyes. "After I drink." He grabbed the bottle and took a long drink.

You were getting annoyed. "You're done." You snatched the bottle from his lips and clutched it tightly. "Lex---"

He growled. "No, no, no---" He tried to get the bottle from you. His voice was shaking and his eyes were filled with tears. "No, no, no! That's mine!"

He was fed up with it. One of his hands wrapped painfully around your wrist. You yelped. He lifted his other hand like he was going to slap you across the face. You gasped and cowered away from him.

"Lex---!" you stammered.

He stopped.

His grip loosened. The bottle crashed to the floor as he realized what he was about to do. He let go of your wrist and looked at his raised hand. "Oh... oh gosh... no... I... ___!"

"Get away from me," you pleaded fearfully. You stepped away from him and choked back a sob. "I thought you loved me."

Lex reached out for you. "I do! I do love you, I'm sorr---" He couldn't finish his sentence. He bent over at his knees and emptied his soured stomach of the burning alcohol.

You slowly backed out of the room and left him alone. When you made it to your bedroom that you shared with him, you locked the door. He knocked for about twenty minutes, but you ignored it. You buried yourself under the thick white comforter and fell into a deep sleep.

---
You woke up at sunrise. Outside of the room was nothing but silence. You wondered if he had simply left to a bar last night or something.

Your hands shook at the memory of your last encounter with your husband. You loved him more than your own life, but he had never been so physically violent with you before. It frightened you badly.

Still, you got up and slowly opened the door. You jumped when you saw the head of messy orange hair resting against the door frame. He was asleep, dark circles around his eyes and dried blood from the glass on his hands.

His eyelids fluttered open and focused on you. You remained still, just staring down at your husband with fear, uncertainty, and sadness. He blinked and shook his head.

"I am a despicable human being," he whimpered.

"You tried to hit me," you added.

Lex licked his lips nervously. "It was never my intention, my love. You don't ever have to forgive me. If you want to leave me, you can."

You didn't even want to think about that. Leaving Lex--- even if he did almost hurt you --- was insane. "No, I love you.".

He shook his head and smiled sadly. "Mm... but you shouldn't. I am just like my father. My sick drunk of a father."

You sank to your knees and reached out to cup his face in your hands. You stroked his cheeks and ran your fingers through his tangled red locks. "You are nothing like that man. You are a victim. I can't blame you for something that you cannot control."

"I could've hurt you," he whispered. His voice broke and a tear fell down his cheek. "I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't," you said. "Lex, your father... he never stopped. But you stopped the minute you really saw me. You never wanted to hit me. What you were seeing was all in your head." You leaned forward and kissed the space between his eyebrows. "You're the love of my life, Alexander Luthor, Jr. I'll be here for every one of your long nights... nightmares... breakdowns... I want to make it all better."

He smiled. "What did I ever do to deserve such a perfect angel in my screwed up life?" He tilted his head and leaned in until his lips touched yours.