prompt request #2

10 + 13 as requested by thoughtsgirl

//

"Right this way, Mrs. Luthor," the police officer said kindly. He gestured for you to follow him. Struggling to keep ahold of your sanity, you did.

Each step you took left echoes running down the long, cold hallways. Prisoners behind grey bars watched you silently, murmuring to themselves, growling at you, begging for help. You swallowed and kept your hands tight at your sides. This place was awful.

Behind two locked gate doors was his cell, the officer told you. You didn't get to see the room that your husband would be calling home for the rest of his life. You were led to a room off to the side, which only contained a grey table, two chairs, and a window. You took your seat.

Lex was arrested for the murders of dozens of innocent civilians. Knowing that he killed people was hard. He didn't feel any remorse, so it felt like you had layers upon layers of guilt on your shoulders. The worst part of it was, he never even told you of his plans.

You looked up as the door opened with a slight buzzing noise. An officer came in, stepped to the side, and behind him was Lex. Lex had another guard glued to his side. Sucking in a deep breath, you blinked back tears at the sight of his hairless head and purple shadows around his eyes.

Lex watched you as they lowered him into his seat. He was still handcuffed. "You have thirty minutes," the officer said. "And we'll be just outside if you need us."

"Thank you," you breathed. They left.

Lex looked at you and raised his eyebrows before slumping lazily in his seat. "It's good to see you," he said. "I've missed you."

Tears were already threatening to fall. "You lied to me," you said.

He shook his head. "No, no, no. I did not lie, I didn't---"

"You did," you insisted. "You lied to me, Lex. You kept all of this from me. Told me that you had only the best intentions for this city. That you had only the best intentions for us. None of this was for us. This was all for you."

"Superman couldn't be trusted," Lex hissed. "And I was the only one in this city that could stop him."

You scoffed. "Don't sit there and pretend that this wasn't a selfish act for you to gain power. You want to play God, Lex, but you can't. You're just a man."

He clenched his jaw. "You're wrong."

"How am I wrong, Lex? Look, I know you feel this need for power since you grew up with such a cruel father, but I can't accept that has a reason. Do you remember what you told me on our wedding night? You said... you are the only person I'll ever trust with this. You're the only person I'm not afraid to be powerless against. You keep me from being afraid. Do you remember that?"

"Of course I do," he whispered. He reached his hands forward to grab yours. You pulled them back and looked away. "___... I love you."

"If you loved me," you whispered, "then why did you leave me?"

"If wasn't expecting to lose," he said.

"Of course not." You nodded.

"Why are you here?" he whisperes. "You obviously don't want to see me."

"I honestly just came here to say goodbye. I, uh, signed the company away. And I'm moving in with my parents until I can start somewhere new," you told him. All of the color drained out of his face. "As much as I wanted to just up and leave, I love you too much to do that. I had to say goodbye."

"No."

You started to rise out of your seat. "You hurt me for the last time."

He shook his head and his hands shot out. You jumped as he grabbed your hand in both of his. "Don't, ah... don't leave me."

You forced a smile. "You're the one that left me, Lex. You left me."

"Hm! Ah, no I didn't. What I said on our wedding night was the truth. And if I lose you... I..." He blinked back tears of his own, his eyes roaming away from you as he imagined a life without you. "Just don't. I love you so much."

You rose to your feet. "Goodbye, Lex. I will miss you, and I'll always love you. I'm not even sure I'll ever move on from you, but I can't stay here and face your mistakes every day."

His eyes were so sad. Your heart was painfully breaking at the sight of the vulnerability. Impulsively, you leaned over and planted your lips on his. His mouth welcomed yours gratefully. He squeezed your hands while you held onto his arms, kissing him long and hard while a dozen memories flew through your head.

Meeting him at one of his parties. How his pale lips stretched into a thin smile at the first sight of you. Getting an invitation to another shortly after. Having your first dance with him, followed shortly with your first kiss. The way his skin felt against yours when you held him. Walking down the aisle in a designer wedding dress, not caring about the expensive venue or the amount of people attending just because of Lex's money and success. Seeing only him, loving only him, promising yourself to only him.

Out of breath, you pulled back. He sighed.

"Alexander Luthor, is you somehow get out of this and decide to find me again, please do. I love you." You whispered this into his neck before planting a kiss there. With a sad smile, you pulled back.

"Get out of here," he whispered. He raised your hands to his lips and kissed your knuckles. "Go."

"Goodbye, Lex," you breathed as you pulled back from him for the last time.