Let Me Help [one shot]

Requested by wineandwhiskey

the commercial mentioned in this one shot is actually this:

//

"Look, I know that my bill was a day late. Yeah, I get it. Yeah! But, okay, I work for LexCorp. That means that I honestly can't lose even a day of Internet! I'll get fired! No, I can't get my bill in until... until Friday. Well, that's only a day! Please? Please! Okay... yeah. Okay. Thanks for your time."

You angrily tossed your phone onto your bed. Tears pricked at your eyes as you collapsed at the end of it, your face in your hands and your elbows on your knees. If anyone saw you right now, they'd assume you were losing it. They wouldn't be wrong.

You screamed out in frustration as you picked up your pillow closest to you and threw it across the bedroom. You could see only red. All you needed was a day. One. Day.

You had been struggling financially for nearly a month. A recent cut in employees and paychecks - due to the work of Superman destroying Metropolis - left you on the brink of poverty. You could barely hold onto your tiny apartment, your cupboards were almost empty, and your bills were always sent right on the deadline.

Except for this week. Now, you'd have to go over twenty four hours without Internet, which wouldn't be crucial if it weren't for the fact that your entire job was on the Internet. You were one of Lex's business assistants; organizing emails that came for him, hosting online meetings, keeping the LexCorp website up and running.

It was a good job that used to pay well. Now... now you were struggling. You would quit completely if it weren't for you close relationship with Lex Luthor. He was more than just a friend to you. You were in love with him.

You groaned. He would be calling you in any minute. You had to get ready for work. And while you did that, you would have to prepare a long list of believable excuses.

//

"___, ___, ___," his chirpy voice greeted from behind you. You turned around, cup of coffee and PopTart in hand. Thank goodness Lex loved to supply free breakfast in the morning. "You are late, late, late, my dear white rabbit!"

"Sorry," you breathed.

He smiled and walked up to you, snatching a paper cup from the stack on the table. "It's not a problem," he assured you. As he poured the black coffee into his cup, he watched you. "Did you finish editing the commercial?"

Your heart dropped. You choked on your drink of coffee. Setting your cup down, you patted your chest as you coughed. Your heart had pretty much fallen through the floor. You forgot. How could you forget?!

"Whoa." Lex hesitantly reached out to hold your shoulders. "Are you all right?"

"Fine!" you choked out. You waved him away. He stepped back. Once you composed yourself, you thought up some damage control. "I, uh, had a few problems with the video. My Internet has been all, like, crazy. Can I use your laptop? I'll finish the video today and I'll work through my lunch break." You didn't pack a lunch, anyways.

"Oh. Yeah, sure." His eyebrows furrowed together. "How long will you need?"

"I promise, Lex, I'll finish it soon." You grabbed your breakfast and your purse and hurried out the door. "Thanks!"

//

Six hours later, you were working on the video. You could recite all of the words in it because of how many times you'd watched it. Listening or watching for a flaw, making a scene longer or a scene shorter, changing the cut scenes.

Your stomach growled. You gnawed on your lip as you fought to keep focused. You didn't have any lunch with you, anyways, but there was a coffee shop just down the street that sold sandwiches. Too bad your wallet was nearly empty. You doubted if you even had a five in there...

There was a knock on the door. You glanced up. "Come on in," you called. The door opened and in stepped Lex. "Hey, Lex. I'm almost done. I am so, so sorry that this is taking long..."

"Ah, no worries!" he exclaimed. "I came by to ask if you would like to have lunch."

Yes. You shook your head. "I, uh, can't."

"Oh? ___, I insist." Lex clapped his hands together once before resting them on his hips. "A strong, working woman like yourself shouldn't have to slave away all day, now should she? Hm! Now come on, we have rebuilt Metropolis, we have won, and now we will celebrate with a sandwich! Ah!"

If we've won, then why am I still starving and why is my Internet out? "Lex, I really can't. I... I, uh, have to finish." You started clicking around on the laptop again.

Lex frowned at you. A lock of his orange hair fell into his face as he let out a huff of air. "___," he said. You hesitantly looked up at him. "Your Internet isn't just out, is it?"

Tears filled your eyes. "How did you know?" you asked.

He sighed. "You've never taken advantage of the free food until lately," he said. "And you've been stressed. I can see it. ___, if we're friends, why can't you just tell me these things? I will be glad to help."

"I don't want you to help," you snapped. A quiet sob left your throat and you hung your head. "I'm sorry. I just... Lex, I can't take money from you. It isn't me." You sobbed. You were just so embarrassed. Perhaps it made it worse when you looked back up and he was gone.

//

After the tears dried, you went back to work. You continued typing away at the laptop. It was nearly finished - thank goodness - and you were exhausted. Your stomach was so empty that it hurt.

There was another knock on the door. Shutting your eyes for a brief second, you sighed. "Come in!"

Lex stepped in, a paper bag in hand and a cardboard tray of drinks in another. He offered a smirk as he walked forward, placed the bag and tray on your desk, and took a seat in front of you.

You raised an eyebrow. "What is this?"

"Lunch," he said. He opened the bag. "I, uh, didn't know what you wanted exactly, but I got you [favorite sandwich]." He set the wrapped food in front of you.

"Lex," you said. He looked at you. "You are probably the sweetest, most thoughtful person in my life." Tears filled your eyes again.

He laughed. "I'm not that great, my dear." He reached over and took your hand in his. "But listen... if you ever, ever, need help with anything, please let me know. I... I care about you. A lot." His thumb stroked the back of your hand. You nearly melted. "And I'm working on getting you a raise. Ah! This is my company and I can do whatever I want! You're getting a raise."

You smiled. "Lex Luthor... I would cry and go on a long speech about how amazing you are if it weren't for me starving right now."

He laughed and leaned forward. You blushed as he kissed your cheek. His lips moved up to your ear and he whispered, "You're welcome."