Here [One Shot]

Requested by Jessica-Summers

Thank you all so, so much for your support and excitement for both this book and my Joker one. I appreciate it so much! ♡♡

//

You pulled your lab coat tight around you as you stepped through the sliding glass doors. You nodded towards all of your coworkers as you went by. You were far too tired for any conversation.

As you made your way to your workspace, you noticed something sitting at your lab table. A white paper cup with a white lid on it. A note was folded on top. You yawned and unfolded it.

___,

It's been a while since we've had time to really talk. Dinner today at my place? My treat. 6:30.

Lex

p.s. You looked like you needed coffee. Also my treat.

You smiled. A feeling that he was pretty close made you lift your head. Sure enough, he was standing on the other side of the glass windows. He smiled at your and waved. You waved back and mouthed a thank you.

Lex Luthor may be your boss, but he's also your best friend. Ever since you were a baby, his parents worked alongside his father. You two clicked instantly. Lex never had siblings or even a friend, and five year old you decided that was ridiculous. You became his best friend in the entire world. He was comfortable with you. So comfortable that he told you about all the terrible things his father did to him when no one was around.

You had begged him to come live with you. You were only six years old. Lex made you promise not to tell. He was two and a half years older than you, and promised that when he could move out in ten years, he would. He also added that you would live with him.

When you just turned fourteen years old, Lex was sixteen. He was incredibly smart and incredibly anxious. All of the time. His hands would shake and he would flinch at any sudden movements or noises. Every time you two would be alone, you would hold his hand to keep it from shaking. He only let you touch him.

Halfway through that year, Lex's father died. It was sudden and unexpected. Your family drove to Lex's house to sort through business things the night after he died. Right away, you went to Lex. He was sitting in his bedroom without an emotion on his face. You asked if he was sad. He told you that it sucked he was an orphan. You told him that it didn't count because he still had you and your parents. That was also the first time you told him that you loved him. His voice was barely a whisper when he said it back.

When Lex's father passed away, you kept contact with him. Lex rebuilt his father's corporation from the ground up. You went to college to study for science, Lex took classes on the side. He never stopped talking to you, no matter how busy his schedule was.

And thankfully it was still that way.

//

You wore a knee length, dark green dress to dinner. You rang the doorbell and smiled as Lex's butler answered. He was the same butler that had always been here, but never had he spoken to you.

Lex ran down the steps to meet you. A grin appeared on his face. "Ah! ___, it is so good to see you!" he exclaimed. "And boy, do you look beautiful." His eyes scanned you and he shook his head. "Hm. Beautiful."

You blushed. "Thank you." Although the feelings had almost always been there, you had never acted upon them.

"Hm. Well, are you hungry?"

As always, Lex overdid himself. You sat across from him at the dining table, a dozen platters between you.

"I'm really glad you invited me over," you said. "I know we haven't kept up with each other lately."

Lex sighed. "Yeah. I am sorry, ___. Just with work and everything..."

"No, don't apologize," you replied, shaking your head. "I totally get it. Running an entire corporation can't be the easiest job in the world, can it?"

Lex smiled a little. He looked down at his plate. "Hm. No, no it isn't..."

"Is something wrong?" you asked, noticing that he was just pushing food around his plate.

He shook his head. "Uh, no. I, uh... no. No, everything is just fine. Hm."

"Lex," you said. It was obvious that he was lying. "You can talk to me."

"It's nothing."

You paused and watched him carefully. He wouldn't tell you. Lex had always kept to himself. With a sigh, you stood up and walked to his seat. You knelt down to look at him and placed your hands on his shoulders. "Lex, you can talk to me. What's going on?"

"Hm." He looked at you and smiled. "You have always been there for me, haven't you?" It sounded like he was mad at you.

Your eyebrows pulled together. "That's... that's because I care about you. Did I do something wrong?"

"No," he whispered. "No, you did everything right." He looked down, his cheeks tinged a little pink. "That's why... that's why..."

You shook your head. "That's why...?" you pressed. "Lex, please. Talk to me."

Finally, he did. "I know I make it seem like I can handle things on my own, but I can't. I can't take care of everything. I'm a complete disaster all of the time."

"Oh." You squeezed his shoulder. "Well, don't worry about that. I'll help you out at work. I can just get Dr. Monroe to take over studying samples and I'll help you out."

He shook his head slightly and shut his eyes. "I don't mean at work," he whispered.

Your heart fluttered. "Oh." It all set in. "Oh."

"I'm... I'm haunted by memories of my father. They keep me awake at night, they keep me paralyzed during the day. He is everywhere I look." His eyes darted around the room. You slowly stood up. When you moved, his attention turned back to you. "But you. When I'm with you, all of that goes away. It's always been like that. You have always, always been there for me whenever I need it."

You waited for a moment. Nodding slowly, you whispered, "And... and you need it now?"

"I always need it." He laughed breathlessly. "I always need you."

You nodded. This was it. This was the exact push you needed. In half a second, Lex stood up. You stepped closer and leaned in. He bent his head down to meet yours. How have you never realized how much taller he was than you? His hands cupped your face. His fingers were so cold. His eyelids drooped, hiding those beautiful blue orbs.

You swallowed. "So kiss me," you whispered.

Lex listened. His lips landed on yours. You held onto his waist and tilted your head. He whimpered in the back of his throat. You held him tighter and kissed him harder. Anything to get rid of this pain he was feeling. Anything.

He finally pulled back.

You didn't let go of him. "Lex," you breathed. "I am in love with you."

And how couldn't you? You had grown up with him. He had accepted you as his only friend and the only person to ever love him. And he loved you in return. Everything he did told you that.

He nodded and stroked your cheek. "I always knew I would end up with you," he whispered with a chuckle.

"Yeah?" you asked with a grin.

He nodded. He went to kiss you again. Before his lips touched yours, he whispered, "I love you." You grinned before he kissed you. It was always so nice to hear.