Negotiations [one shot]

Requested by Lorrylee1994

Sorry that there's been a delay on the third part of Finch's Daughter, but I didn't like how it turned out and started over. I just want to publish the best that I can for you guys.

//

It wasn't uncommon to have a never ending line of calls at your desk every day. Despite being a very successful businesswoman in Gotham, your company struggled. It was a company very similar to LexCorp--- which was exactly the company that drove yours to the ground. When Metropolis was destroyed and all hope seemed lost for its citizens, LexCorp built itself and the city back up. With a company as powerful as LexCorp in the city across the bay, what was the point of sticking by a mediocre place like this?

After a few tough months, you were building back to catch up with Lex Luthor. It took a lot of extra work for everyone. Most of all, it took a toll on you. Most of your beloved employees had to be let go to fit your budget. It broke your heart and left you with double the calls and documents.

"No, Mr. James. I need five thousand up front if you want to partner up. Well, I'm sorry that you cannot afford that, but it's what I need. I wish I could reconsider. I... I... no. No, I will not. Okay. Goodbye."

You ended the call and hung your head. This was the fourth potential partnership to not work out. People that couldn't get with Mr. Luthor's company tried to get with yours. But they were never serious. It was just a second choice sort of thing. No one truly cared.

"Ms. ____?" your only assistant left, Mary, said. You turned and smiled. "Um... you have another meeting that I scheduled for four o'clock. And an over the phone meeting with Mr. James---"

You waved your hand. "No, no. That won't be necessary. Mr. James didn't want to... cooperate. We won't be working with his company. I guess I could fill that space with extra time to file..."

"Okay." Her mouth opened suddenly and she held up her pen. "Oh! I just remembered. There's, uh, someone out there who wants to see you."

Your eyebrows furrowed together. "I don't have a ten o'clock, Mary."

"This one isn't scheduled," she said. Her pink lips pursed together and she folded her hands in front of her. She always looked so nervous to be around you, like you would fire her at any moment. But you really did like Mary, and you had no desire to throw her out.

"I... I don't have time," you said with a sigh. "Tell whoever it is to schedule an appointment."

"I really think that you should consider speaking to them," she said.

Silent, you walked around Mary and poked your head outside. Lex Luthor sat in a chair by the door. Your breath caught in your throat and you silently turned away to walk back in.

"Ah! ___," Lex said. You flinched. It wasn't like you hated the guy; in fact, you'd always gotten along fine with him. And he had always liked you... maybe a little more than he should. "My, my. It is good to see you!"

You spun around to face him. "Oh, Lex! You were the one that was my surprise meeting. Huh." You put your hands on your hips and laughed nervously. He smiled and raised his eyebrows. "So. Uh, hi. What... what is it that you, uh, want?"

He clapped his hands together once, rose to his feet, and put his hands on his hips. "Lunch! How about lunch?"

"It's ten in the morning, Lex," you said.

He laughed, his tongue prodding along his bright white teeth. "Ah, so it is. A drink, perhaps?"

You blinked at him. "It's ten in the morning, Lex," you repeated.

"Oh, come on. Do not pretend you haven't been working harder than you should. You need a drink." He grinned as you bit your lip and looked down.

"I suppose I can take an hour off..."

"Excellent! Excellent, excellent, excellent."

//

"Red or white wine?" he asked you.

You fiddled with your fingers as you nervously sat yourself on his white sofa. He had taken you back to LexCorp. Your mind was racing over what he could possibly want. "Uh... red, please."

As he poured your drink, he shook his head. "I cannot believe that you do not want any Kentucky mash." He smirked at you as he walked over and handed you the glass of wine. You smiled politely.

"It's not my thing," you said simply.

"Mm." He took a seat next to you and smiled as you sipped on your wine. "The red wine suits you. You look... simply royal with a glass of it in your hands. And your stained lips..."

You blushed and turned away, resisting the urge to brush any sign of red away with your fingers. He chuckled lightly as you cleared your throat. "So... what is it you wanted to talk to me about? You didn't just want to drink with me. I know better than that."

He watched the bottom of his glass as he spoke. "I wanted to speak to you on business terms," he said. "And when that assistant of yours took me to that waiting area to get you, I overheard what you were saying. I know I'm not wrong when I say that I want to help you."

You laughed dryly. "You know how I feel about partnering with LexCorp."

"And you know how I feel about you," he shot back, his voice shaking and loud. You watched him carefully. He shut his eyes and shook his head. "I'm sorry."

"We can't do this," you whispered. "And you know that I can't have a partnership with someone that I'm in a personal relationship with."

He smiled. "Personal relationship?"

You held up a finger and shook your head. "That's not what I meant," you said, blush creeping back onto your cheeks.

"It is what you said," he replied. His cold hand reached over and took the wine glass out of your hold. The cup was replaced by his hand. You swallowed nervously as he turned his full attention to you. "Imagine it, my dear. Our companies would be strong."

You shook your head. "Partnering up with me would do nothing for your company," you said. "LexCorp wouldn't benefit from us... they could only be hurt. Lex, why would you offer to destroy your own company---?"

"I don't care about the company," he snapped. His other hand held onto the back of the sofa as he leaned in, his eyes frozen on yours. "I only care about you and you alone, ___."

"Not LexCorp?" you whispered.

"Don't be ridiculous," he breathed. You smiled and blushed. "You are so beautiful. And again, I stand by what I said before. Red suits you." His finger stroked down your cheek. You looked down.

"I can't partner up with LexCorp," you whispered.

"Shhh..." You felt his hot breath against your mouth as you slowly leaned closer. You tilted your head up and parted your lips. Butterflies filled your stomach and you shut your eyes. "Beautiful."

In a moment, his lips were on top of yours. Soft, warm, and welcoming, you kissed him softly yet eagerly. His hand squeezed your own and his arm snaked around to wrap around your waist. He kissed you with passion that left you clinging onto the front of his suit breathlessly.

He pulled back, his face so close that his eyelashes were tangled in yours. You smiled and sighed. "Lex..."

"If you partner up with LexCorp, every day could be like this," he promised, his voice moving to your ear. His lips kissed at the start of your jaw. You nuzzled your face in his neck. "We could be together like this all the time." He kissed you there again.

How could you say no to that?