Control [one shot] [part one]

Requested by les_chris

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm doing okay and can't wait to continue writing since I finally have a little more time!

//

"Lex, I can't do this anymore. You keep everything from me! Do you not trust me or something?" you screamed, tears streaming down your face. This was it; this was your breaking point.

After months of dating Lex Luthor, you finally decided to end it. He had been keeping countless secrets from you. His job, his meetings, his time after work - all of it was dedicated to something he wouldn't tell you.

He swallowed slowly. His voice was soft and slow. "I cannot tell you."

"That's bull!" you shouted, slamming your fist on the table. Lex jumped at the noise and shut his eyes tightly. "Give me one reason why you can't trust me!"

His stared at you, his lip shaking. He bit down on it. His eyes burned into yours but he gave no sign of wanting to answer. You scoffed and shook your head.

"Exactly." You turned around and started to the doors.

Lex exploded. "You cannot leave me!"

You didn't answer. Your fists clenched tight as you stormed away, tears streaming down your face. He screamed after you, but he didn't move to bring you back. You ignored his shouts and ran away, no desire to come back to him.

//

a month later

You slowly moved the curler through your hair. It was a Friday night in the city, and your roomate decided that it was about time you went out.

It had been a long month. You'd already gone through the stages of grief; each being a week of misery. When you were in denial, you tried to piece everything together normally. You followed your schedule, avoided any thought of him and the fight, and refused to mention him to anyone. But it didn't take too long to settle in.

When you were just depressed, you ate a lot. It was like you were an emotional teenager in an old chick flick; you absolutely hated it. Your roomate told you that it was completely normal, even as a grown woman.

The anger stage was the worst. You hid all evidence of your relationship with Lex. Pictures were either thrown away or shoved under the bed, his jackets and shirts that you had stolen were thrown in a basket of dirty clothes that you had no desire to ever wash.

You were over it. And tonight, you were going to let your roomate take you out. Forget about Lex, the month you spent hiding in your bedroom with a bag of chips, and every tear you shed for him.

"Are you almost ready?" Mollie, your roomate, asked as she ran into your room. She fluffed her hair with her fingers before she turned to see you. "Oh, you look perfect!"

"Thanks," you said. You picked up a stick of lipstick. "And I'm almost done. Where are we going?"

"I was thinking we could go to the club that's just out of the city," she replied. "Dance, drink... maybe meet a few boys?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

You rolled your eyes and scoffed. "Boys? No thanks."

"Come on, ___," she whined. "It's been so long. He can't have any control over your life anymore! Maybe you'll be ready to meet someone new tonight!"

"Maybe," you lied. You struggled to keep from biting your lip. You knew that you wouldn't be able to. As much as you tried to find someone else, you would always be in love with Lex Luthor.

//

He was everywhere.

He had someone at every area of the city to map out your entire move. If you went to the grocery store, someone was there. If you went to the doctor, someone was there. He made sure you were watched all the time.

He felt extremely guilty for it. The feeling gnawed endlessly at his gut. He hated doing this; not letting you go, keeping you always as a priority. He needed to let you go, but he couldn't. His life was forever ruined by your absence.

The ghost of you haunted him. Waking up without a good morning text from you, the smell of your favorite tea, the feeling of your hand in his--- it was all unbearable. He filled the void with bourbon, but even that could only keep a person distracted for so long.

He began to search. He searched for any sign that you really existed and didn't live in his mind. He found pictures of you, a random makeup bag, a box of your favorite tea bags, and your favorite book. But none of these things really told him that you were real, alive, and safe.

He sent people out to find you. The men he hired to carry out his plan to destroy Superman--- the very plan that destroyed your relationship ---was held off as a majority of them followed you. They would update Lex on how you were. If you looked well, if you were with someone else... anything. In return, Lex gave them a significant raise on their paychecks.

Of course he felt guilty. You had no idea that those men were following you, tapping into your phone calls, hacking your email. It tore him up inside to know that he was so pathetic that he sent other men to spy on you when he should go find you himself amd apologize.

"Mr. Luthor," Mercy spoke, pushing the doors open. "You have a visitor."

Lex tilted his head back and downed the last bit of bourbon. Before turning around, he forced a smile onto his face. Standing up, placing his hands on his hips, he spun around. "Ah! Yes, yes. Of course, how may I--- oh."

It was one of his men that he had sent out. Lex immediately changed his mood; his smile vanished, hands fell limp at his side, and voice grew quiet. The man stepped forward.

"Mr. Luthor, she's---"

Lex shook his head. "I don't want to hear it," he said. He turned back. "We're done watching her now. Get back to the job I originally hired you for."

"You don't want to know where she is?" he asked curiously.

"No," Lex asked quickly, venom in his voice. He scowled and looked down at his shoes. Tapping his foot, he mumbled under his breath, "Let her go, let her go, let her go. Just... let her go!"

"Sir?" the man continued.

"Just tell me!" Lex exclaimed with more fury.

"She's at a small bar outside of the city," he told him. "With a friend."

Outside of the city? Lex turned his head a bit. "Jack's?" he asked. "Jack's Pub?"

The man nodded, his brown eyes studying Lex carefully. Lex nodded in return. That bar was the one his father went to whenever he wanted to hide from businessmen that would beg for his attention. Lex's father would tell him stories of the men there. They were no good, disgusting, desperate for money people. They would kill for anything.

He couldn't let you stay there without making sure you were safe. He made a quick decision and poured himself another glass of bourbon.

"Get me my car," he ordered.