Abstract [One Shot] [part two]

Lex tapped his fingertips against his chapped lips absentmindedly. The rain hit the tall window with small, beautiful sounds. The taste of bourbon on his lips reminded him of the last night he saw you, just three weeks ago.

He hadn't seen you. After a few days, he figured that you would be running back to him. Of course that was all arrogance. He had broken your heart and your trust, so why would you come back?

On the fifth day of silence, Lex went to every one of your favorite places. Your favorite bookshop, café, bar, store, anywhere. He even sent out a few of his workers to look for you. No one could find you.

He had given up on the idea of seeing you just three days ago. Since then, he'd been making Mercy call you four times a day. He could never do it himself. If he did, what would he say?

"Mercy," Lex said, his voice hoarse.

"Yes, Mr. Luthor?" She appeared at his desk instantly.

"Call her again, please," he ordered.

Mercy nodded, annoyance in her eyes, and dialed the number. She walked out as she held it up to her ear. Lex could faintly hear her talking through the thick wooden walls. After a few agonizing seconds, she returned.

"Her number is no longer avaliable for me," she informed him. "I've been blocked."

Lex stood. "What? Hm. Well, send out a request to take out the block. I'll negotiate a deal, and---"

"Mr. Luthor," she interrupted, "please forgive me, but maybe that isn't what you should do to talk to her."

Lex put his hands on his hips and bit his lip. "Mhm. So what should I do, exactly?"

/

Forty minutes later, Lex sat in the driver's seat of his car, one hand wrapped tightly around the steering wheel, the other on his phone. It rang once, twice, three times. He licked his lips nervously. Four. What if you don't answer? Five. Please, please. Six.

"Hello?" you asked.

Lex's heart skipped a beat. Panicked, he pleaded, "Don't hang up."

You sighed.

"Please," he continued.

"You don't deserve any time from me," you snapped. Lex closed his eyes. "Don't you have a long line of women just waiting to earn a few of your kisses, Mr. Luthor?"

"I... no. I don't," he said. "___, please. Let me come over."

"No!" you scoffed.

"Mm!" he hummed, trying to control his anger. "I am just wanting to talk to you in person. Please? You'll never have to see me again."

You waited a moment. "I won't tell you no, mostly because I have a bunch of your junk in my apartment."

Lex let out a deeo breath. "Thank God, ___---"

But you had already hung up.

/

Lex clutched the small potted orchid tightly in his hand. He felt stupid. A flower to beg for your love? You would laugh in his face. Or, he considered something else, you would appreciate it. Ha. Unlikely.

He knocked on the door. You opened it and didn't bother greeting him or even looking at him. He followed you in and closed the door, placing the orchid on your bookshelf. He stood awkwardly, his eyes moving around your colorful apartment.

"Your stuff is on the couch," you said. He looked at you.

Lex couldn't believe it. You were completely, totally fine. He expected something else. Tears, swollen cheeks, pajamas, messy hair... all of that. Not you. You looked strong.

"Hello?" you snapped.

He blinked and looked away. "Thank you." He looked at the pile of t-shirts on the sofa. The one on top was your favorite color; you loved this one, slept in it every night. "You don't want this?" he asked.

You shook your head. "It's yours."

"Hm, yeah, but I gave it to you."

You shook your head slowly. "Are you forgetting that this is over?" you questioned.

"No," he replied. "Ah, but it is not yet over."

You blinked. "What kind of world are you living in? You seem to think that I broke up with you. Don't you? Do you not remember cheating on me? My God, Lex, you kissed another woman while you wore the engagement ring I bought for you!"

If Lex was being honest with himself, he had forgotten. He preferred the idea of you breaking up with him because, although it meant that he hadn't had power over the situation, it had meant that it wasn't him that hurt you. "I was drunk, it was a mistake."

You bit your lip. "Is that supposed to change something? We were drunk when you first told me you loved me. Was that a mistake, too?" And there they were, the tears. Lex felt his heart clench as you let a tear slide down your cheek. "I was done crying for you."

Lex felt all of the guilt swell up inside of him until his insides were sore. He looked down and pinched his fingers around the bridge of his nose. Incoherent hums escaped his lips.

"Just get out of here," you pleaded, the strength in your voice gone. You were broken again.

"No," he said. He looked up. "Let me say something. Hm... I... I never wanted to hurt you. Lily was... she was a mistake. Never, never did I plan to kiss her. Ah, but that doesn't matter, does it? It doesn't matter that I didn't plan it, it only matters that I acted upon it. Hm, hm, hm."

"Just get out," you said in disgust. He didn't move. You groaned and grabbed the picture frame off of the coffee table; a metal frame encasing a photo of you and Lex together. "Go!" You threw the picture at him. Lex flinched as it hit the wall and shattered glass onto the floor. "Get out of here you worthless, filthy liar! You never loved me! You lied!" Lex only shook his head as you started hitting your fists against his chest, trying to get him out.

Flashes of memories hit him suddenly. He wasn't in your apartment, he was in his bedroom. He was trying to hide but he was crying too loud. He was found. He screams. It wasn't you hitting him, it was his father. No, no, no. This isn't real. It is you hitting him. Why? Why? You promised to protect him. You lied, you lied, you lied, you lied, you lied---

"No!" he shouted, and he shoved you away. His hands were shaking and his face wet with tears. His vision was red and hazy as he tried to focus. Finally, he saw you. You were on your knees, your hands pressed against the floor. All down your arms was blood. You were in the broken shards of glass. "___!"

He knelt down next to you and pulled your hands into his, his eyes filled with concern. Had he done this? All the while, as he brushed the shards from your shaking hands, he mumbled to himself. You let out a small squeak of a sob. "I hit you."

He stopped moving and watched you weep, your hair sticking to your wet cheeks. You didn't look at him again. You were drowning in shame amd pain. Lex shook his head. "Don't. Don't you dare hate yourself, ___, not for this. I... I am the one at fault, my dear. I kissed her and..." He looked at the bloody mess on the floor. "And I did this."

You cried. "I just loved you so much," you whispered.

"I love you," he said.

"Then why did you hurt me?" you asked. "Why... why did you kiss her?"

"Because I didn't know how much until I had already lost you," he replied, shocking even himself with the answer. You sobbed again and leaned your forehead against his shoulder. Lex pulled you close until you wrapped your bloody arms around his neck and held him close. "I am so in love with you, ___, and I want to show you in every way. Say something."

You shook your head. "We are such a screwed up couple," you cried out. A laugh escaped your lips. It sounded insane. Lex's heart skipped a beat and he smiled. He pulled back to gaze into your big eyes as he reached up. His fingers blindly plucked the orchid from the pot. He held it in between you both, the light petals covered in blood.

"We are abstract," Lex whispered. You kissed him.