Chapter 3 • The Aspirants Ball

The Grand Hall doors were pushed open as young boys and girls flocked in; the celebrations looking more spectacular each year.

Loosely-tied scarlet curtains grandiosely arrayed the glass windows reaching the size of three floors. Wall and pillar designs were repainted with gold and silver. Chandeliers, like new, sparkled like dozens of stars high up in the ceiling. Music, still lively and festive, was played by the well-performed and well-dressed orchestra. Flowers of sorts, all in their brightest bloom were decorated in almost every corner of the vast hall. And the food! Who would forget the food? Long white tables seemed to burst to life, mounted with all kinds of colorful pastries, snacks, and chocolates for the already dazzled crowd. Tierra recognized some of Memma's specialties.

It was one of the very few events Tierra anticipated this season. The only difference this year was that she, Tierra Crey, was now an official aspirant of the grand celebrities.

Tierra wore a cream-colored off-sleeve gown made from expensive Lavendros cloth, the city known best for fabric trade, aside from spices and flowers. The embroidered material on her shoulders hinted playful flower patterns which reached to the side of her waist and hips. 

Comfort is key, she thought. This was not the dress intended for Tierra. Though just as intricate, it was still not the clothing of a princess - which was Tierra's exact motive, to be less noticeable. This came to be because Tierra spent her long afternoon pleading to her tailor, Sheesa, to make her gown look less grand, less royal. She didn't want attention on the first day of her blending with co-aspirants. But she also made sure she was looking what she felt. So three hours before the ball, an exhausted Sheesa and her helpers sewed a simpler dress in surrender. 

"You're growing too fast," Lucie, her most trusted handmaiden, commented with glass-like eyes.

This time, Tierra made sure she was wearing gloves, despite thoroughly cleansing her arms - hand kissing now seemed a dreadful tradition.

"These silver earrings are too heavy, Lucie," Tierra still managed to complain.

"Now, now. Tonight's an important event. You said it so yourself. Besides, Princess, they used to be your mother's," Lucie smiled as she tucked a loose bundle of her highness's hair. Tierra tried to smile back, "Now wear them proudly."

I wish she could wear them herself right now, she sighed.

Tierra nervously entered the room bowing her head as she penetrated the crowd. She let out a breath, relieved that nobody seemed to notice her appearance. She pulled her sleeves a little upwards and went to a less busy area.

After her mother's death, Tierra has stopped appearing during parades and balls in princessly clothing. She made herself always hidden, eventually unfamiliar by the crowd. It wasn't only her fixated mourning that stayed, but the past five years has made her less optimistic of her royal position. Somehow, a part of her felt such was to blame for her loss.

Tierra looked about. Every teenager in the hall appeared excited. Girls complimented each other's months-prepared ball gowns and pinned-up locks. Boys formed curious bunches, probably admiring each other's courtly and well-pressed coats, if not eyeing over the maidens of their age.

There was a traditional dance presentation at the center. Tierra was searching for Eros.

Alas, a young man in an olive-colored suit entered the grand hall smiling. He was looking around, ecstatic. His dark hair brushed to the back. Always like a jack-in-the-box, she thought smirking to herself.

"Hey," Tierra greeted the enthralled-looking boy as she approached him.

It took a while before the young man responded. He then smiled cheerfully, "Sorry, I didn't recognize you right away," he lied as Tierra nudged him at the shoulder, "I'm kidding! But look at you. You're a beautiful sight, Tierra."