Chapter 15 ▪ Meeting the Academics (3/4)

The chocolate haired girl was stopping herself from snickering

The chocolate haired girl was stopping herself from snickering. From the back, Eros was nodding to her. The healer's daughter and her seatmate smiled at Tierra. Jerille from the front was raising his chin. Allie was making a small frantic wave again. She could feel her fellow Kalosians rooting for her. Salovin made no expressions.

"I've been living in this castle too, all my life," Tierra started, testing the crowd. The Sephyrian girls to her right exchanged knowing looks. Miss Deci was serious. "My name is Tierra Lila Crey. You can call me-" There were whispers and turns of heads in the room. It was evident that everyone knew her father's last name. The mocking looks of the annoying girls turned to shocked gossips. Tierra didn't feel elated at this.

Miss Decibelle stood, "Class, please let the princess continue." There were more gasps and whispers at their preceptor's confirmation. Even her seatmate was no longer taking notes but was just staring at her.

Tierra broke the silence, eager to end her introduction. "Please call me Tierra. Tierra alone. No Princess, no anything. Just Tierra. I believe in what our Miss Deci here believes. We are one and the same here. We are to face a divine charge, if called. And that entails a life guarding, defending our cities, defending Elysia. As one." There was silence in the room. Tierra didn't mean to sound royal-like in her speech, but she couldn't stop the words from coming out of her mouth. She got an idea, "Oh and I love tumbleberries," Tierra said quickly sitting down.

The academics were still speechless. Everyone seemed to wait for Miss Deci's response. Tierra looked at her. She was smiling at Tierra, but there was something in Miss Deci's eyes that looked like pity. She scribbled something in her sheet and motioned for Tierra's seatmate, saying nothing.

"Well, this is awkward," Maizy stood up self-consciously, turning pages from her notebook, "Ugh, well, ugh, you see."

Tierra noticed a paper on the floor; she grabbed it and handed it to her awkward friend.

"My name's R-remazeen B-benson. My nickname's M-maizy. And ugh, my mother wants me to ugh k-keep wearing braids though it has only been about f-five years since we moved to S-sephyria. She said I looked b-better in braids, so ugh. There. And-" Maizy adjusted her glasses, "And...I mean, but... I was born here in K-kalos."

Miss Deci cocked her head, "That's interesting, Miss Benson. What made you move to the capital?"

Maizy turned pages of her notebook again. Tierra felt sorry for Maizy's edginess; she had sweet-looking dimples on both of her cheeks and pretty hazel-nut eyes. "We, ugh, my mother, well, f-found a better job in Sephyria. She's still s-staying there right now and she isn't v-very happy that the academy was m-moved here in Kalos." There were nods and whispers in the room.

Miss Deci smirked, "I think a lot of academics around the region are unhappy about that as well," she said looking around, "So how do you find the two cities, Miss Benson, like out of your own words?"