Chapter 21 ▪ Ailments

Four guards bowed her way as the princess exited the hallway

Four guards bowed her way as the princess exited the hallway. To the far end was the King's Chamber where two guards stood, behind them two large doors, a gateway to mystery.

Squeaks from her steps echoed the corrider as she passed by, breaking the monotonous silence, opposite to the clangs and clatters in the room she came from.

As the air changed from delicious to head throbbing medicinal, Tierra could not ignore her worry. The smell of herbs was of crushed white willow bark and wintergreens.

As she approached, concern emerged from the faces of the two guards. They glanced at each other.

Tierra sensed their tension, "What's wrong? Am I not allowed inside?"

The taller one exhaled, "Yes, princess. Today, the king made strict orders not to be disturbed."

"Not even me?" Tierra sounded hurt.

"We are terribly sorry, your majesty," the guards bowed.

"But is he in pain? Did he see a doctor?"

The men looked at each other. One shook his head.

"We weren't told, but he was in his chambers the whole day, except noon, at lunch."

Tierra scratched her neck, "Well, thank you, Maxo, Trever. Please let me know the soonest he allows me to see him," she requested.

"Yes, your highness."

Tierra didn't feel like eating, thereafter, so she decided to go straight to their bunks.

She was dragging her feet on the hallways when she heard someone blowing their nose like an elephant. The sounds were coming from the common toilets to the edge of the Wing.

"Aachoo! Aachoo! Pffhrrrrr."

Curious, she advanced to the washrooms.

A pale young girl with messy copper hair and a soggy nose was surprised to see she had company. Dark circles developed beneath her eyes. It was Florice.

"Oh Tee, it was just you!" she said through clogged nostrils, trying to smile.

"Florice, you don't seem fine. Are you alright?" the princess asked, entering the common baths.

"Oh don't come closer! I don't want to sneeze on you," her friend warned, backing away.

"It's okay. I just want to help. What happened to you?" Tierra placed a palm on her sick friend's forehead. It wasn't warmer than usual. Looking around, she noticed the floor was wet. A faucet must be leaking.

"It's just my allergies. Apparently, my roommates use generous amounts of fragrances my nose couldn't handle."

Tierra made a giggle, "Even you, the florist? Well, you don't have a fever, so it must be that. Have you taken anything?"