Chapter 15 ▪ Meeting the Academics (1/4)

There were knocks on the door when Tierra woke up

There were knocks on the door when Tierra woke up. A little voice called, “Tierra! Tierra, open up!”

“Mmm... come in," was Tierra’s drowsy reply.

A doll dressed in male clothes and a funny hat bobbed into view, “Good morning, Princess. It’s the first day of the Warden Academy. Wake up and wash the dirt off your face,” Tania said mimicking a young man’s voice.

Tierra groaned and turned to the side, the morning light scorched her lashes, “Are you sure a boy is allowed to wake a princess up in her night dress?”

“Oh, oh! You’re right!” Tania exclaimed, alarmed. She then covered the black gem pupils of her doll and said to it, “Kiefer, why are you here? Bad boy, Kiefer. Go back to your room and wash your eyes!”

Tierra giggled. She rose to her feet and folded her sheets, “What are you doing up so early?”

Tania stared at the disheveled mess Tierra called her hair, “Oh, you cut your hair!”

--

“Do you really think I look just like the others?” the older princess blurted out after checking herself in the mirror for the umpteenth time.

“You'll blend in well, Tierra!” Tania said pushing her sister towards the door.

“These nails, aren’t they too showy?”

Tania rolled her eyes as she opened the door, “No, they are not. Now go!”

Tierra peeked at the hallway. From below, she could hear several steps and voices heading towards the East Wing.

She retrieved her head inside, Tania was blocking the way.

“A last look in the mirror,” she promised her younger sister.

“Here," Tania handed her a silver pocket mirror. “I found it in your jewelry box when you were bathing and-”

Tierra glared at her sister.

“-It will be useful to you. Just open that and look at yourself if you feel all jittery again,” Tania sung.

Do. Not. Touch. My things. Again.” Tierra said placing the pocket mirror in her bag.

Tania pursed her lips, looking to the side.

Tierra straightened her dress, “Does this shoulder bag-”

“Yes it is fine, Tierra.”

Tierra let out a hearty laugh and headed for the stairs. She looked back at her sister, “It’s my first day in school!” she squealed, skipping, “With people. And classmates!” And Tierra skittered to the corner.

Tania smiled to herself, feeling triumphant of her early morning task. She closed the door of her sister’s room and bounced to the opposite hallway.

--

Tierra was trailing a few Sephyrian academics when she noticed them without bags. She panicked and opened her sling bag.

A notebook, a pen, a round silver mirror, and a doll

A notebook, a pen, a round silver mirror, and a doll. Tierra groaned, “What is Kiefer doing here? Ugh, Tania…” Ahead of her, the Sephyrians were making a turn to the corner. She paced about, looking for a large plant to hide her baggage, but she felt guilty at the thought of losing Kiefer, her sister’s most beloved doll.

Tierra was about to walk back to her room, when a woman stopped her. “An academic are you? This way, Darling.”

Tierra stopped in her tracks, she turned around and was about to explain when the woman persisted, “Come on now. You don’t want to be late for your first class.” She was wearing a dark coat and a knee-length skirt. Her hair was a pile of small curls which bounced about. Tierra guessed that she was their first period preceptor; and she wouldn’t want to have a bad impression, nor did she wish for favor if the lady knew who she was.

Sighing, Tierra just bowed, hugging her sling bag in front of her as she followed the lady.

--

Atop a small archway were fat golden shapes that spelled “Lecture Hall”. Tierra took a deep breath.

There was no door so it was immediately obvious that the class was raucous. To Tierra’s eyes, it seemed that in those early minutes of the morning, her co-aspirants must have already known each other, considering the noise. The slender lady before her cleared her throat. To Tierra’s dismay, all faces turned to the teacher, and to Tierra who was behind her. Tierra felt her cheeks heat up. She was the only one carrying a bag.

From her periphery, Allie was making a little frantic wave. Tierra smiled at her and ached to see all the seats beside her occupied.

“Well, everyone seems sprightly this morning,” the preceptor announced.

Tierra eyed a seat at the far end and rushed to it as academics focused on the lady in front of them.

“A fair morning to all of you. I am Decibelle Orchard," she went writing on the board. “I will be your preceptor in Manners and Customs.”

Tierra took a seat beside the wall and flattened her sling bag to her lap, hiding it from view. She could feel her heart racing. Her seatmate beside her was scribbling furiously. Two girls on her right were looking at her. The other one gave an immediate smile. Beside her was what looked like the daughter of Pappy, who smiled reluctantly. Tierra returned an embarrassed grin.

“You can call me Miss Deci,” the preceptor said, dusting her hands with a cheery smile, “Madame Orchard shall be reserved until twenty years from now. And until I find a husband.” The class responded in smiles and giggles. Miss Deci picked up to wear her halfmoon spectacles as she read the paper in her hand. “Thirty eight,” she eyed the crowd, counting in her head as she went, “I’m impressed. No one backed out. Well, shall we start?”

--
(cover photo is from some complexly spelled building in Dublin)

Sorry! This chapter is too long. I had to make it into 4 parts.
Early morning tests of luck for our princess protagonist.