Chapter 29 ▪ What Lies Beyond

So Wattpad has been a bit buggy and some chapters either don't notify or don't show at all. I hope you're not that confused yet. :( anyway, enjoy.

"I don't like that Alfraedo. Did you see how he moves? How can you even trust someone who's masked all the time?" Karys spat out after getting to their seat at the lecture hall; their castle knight standing outside and being far from earshot.

“I couldn’t eat well," Serin said remembering the uncomfortable thought.

Tierra was thinking deeply, "Come to think of it, these aren't Kalosian guards. I don't recognize any of their armor."

“Is that so? These scary guys aren't from here?" Karys asked their princess friend who nodded. "No wonder they're not looking friendly at all."

Maizy raised a finger, "The k-king did mention that they are the b-best ones."

"But why should they be covered in all those armor? And why do they stare at us like that?"

An unfamiliar voice joined in, "Why, what's wrong with sephyrian guards, ladies?" It was Sipka.

Karys was doing an eye roll. Serin straightened up. Maizy began biting her fingernails.

"What's wrong with them, Tierra?" Sipka repeated, unable to contain the thought of being ignored.

"Nothing," she coughed a little. "I just think Kalosian guards know Kalos better. Since we're all gonna be stuck here."

"Hm! Makes sense," Sipka said as she stretched her fingers together and was about to leave when Salovin came over.

"Uhm, sorry to interrupt but I can't help overhearing. I think it's all for the best, ladies. Sephyrian guards have very rigorous training, you know. And I'm sure these sentinels took years to gain their status."

"Yeah, I'm sure they'll do a good job," Memphis piped in.

"Oh, so we're starting a discussion now," Karys complained.

"Sephyrians aren't bad people, my love."

Karys' eyes shot fire, "No one gave you the permission to call me that way, Memphis Malone."

"Oh," the sephyrian teen smiled sheepishly, "So now you know my full name."

Karys just grimaced at him as Monnet and a few girls in the front shrieked to some sight.
"Wah!"

They turned to look. It was a lady with long dark hair. Goosebumps.

--

She was smiling. Her dark lips reminded Tierra of woodsap bark as they cracked and wrinkled. Brown freckles arranged on her face like random pins on a map, while a shiny forehead gave birth to thin strands of long black hair separated by colorful ties. She appeared to be wearing a parchment-like cloak which ruffled as the early afternoon wind passed through the platform.

"How long has she been standing there?" Karys whispered to them.

"I don't think a-anyone noticed," was Maizy's reply as Serin and Tierra froze.

"Thanks to some hefty magic from my dear friend Decibelle, I was able to observe you for a few minutes," their preceptor spoke as though singing to a tune of nature. "My name is Missy Memeri. But you must call me only by Miss Mem. I wouldn't want to confuse you with a name like Miss Missy, yes?" she giggled as if bubbles came out from her ears. For Tierra, there was probably some mismatch of her appearance and personality.

Miss Mem formed another smile as she paced the platform, her teeth the color of metal rust, "How interesting to see what the youth are concerned today," she glanced at the archway; several sentinels lined the corridor.