Chapter 19 ▪ Wistful Lullabies

Just another note, in case this is the first you've seen in the last 10 days... Chapters 17 and 18 didn't appear published even if I did publish them. Some technical issues with Wattpad I believe, but I fixed them now. So please go to Chapter 17 so as not to be confused. Those 2 chapters are essential to the story and 2 of my favorites. :)

--

"Are you sure you're not hungry?" Maizy offered a bun to her royal friend. Tierra just shook her head.

It was a few minutes to sunset, so the rays of afternoon sunlight carressing their beds seemed to have prepared the mood. The halls were still since most of the academics were in their rooms, resting.

The girls were each positioned at the edges of the beds, taking bites from their warm pastry. Serin was lying prone, sniffing on her treat. Maizy was leaning on a bed frame, covered in a blanket. Karys sat on the dresser chair and rested her face on the bunk's wooden bars. Tierra sat to the wall.

The light from the window shone on the princess's face

The light from the window shone on the princess's face. The setting sun like a spotlight. Its warmth, nonetheless, made her breathe easy.

Tierra told them how she lost her mother. She narrated that at the age of ten, she had to receive the news the hard way.

The princess was looking down to the bed sheets. She traced the patterns with her index finger, as if trying to draw her story.

"...She was sick for a while. After she gave birth to Tania, my younger sister, she had a...a...her heart just stopped...but she was revived and got better."

"A-an ischemic attack to the heart?" Maizy helped.

"Yes, something like that. So ever since that incident, she was diagnosed with a weak heart...or so I was told." Tierra paused. She hugged a pillow and leaned to the wall. "When...when...just a few days after the winter feast, my birth season celebration... Father told us to visit our aunt who lived several miles from Kalos, but that mother couldn't come," Tierra's voice cracked, "When we arrived back three days later, she was already long gone-" Tierra could not stop her tears. "She died the night we left," and buried her face to the pillow.

"Tierra..." Karys whispered as they all huddled near her. Serin handed her a napkin.

"I'm sorry," Tierra was wiping her face, "This is unbecoming of a princess...to show such weakness."

"No, no, Tierra. Not at all," Karys said holding her hand.

"Y-you're human, Tierra, j-just like us." Maizy reassured, glancing at her friends, they nodded, "P-please go on."

Trying to remember, Tierra continued, "I ran to where they said she was buried. Can you believe that? She was already buried." She shook her head. "I could no longer talk to her. There were no good byes. No last...words. It was like they knew she was dying that they made us go. How...how spiteful to do such a-... I could not fathom what I felt..." Tierra was now shaking uncontrollably.