Chapter 8 • The Waterfall Sanctuary

Tierra skipped to the back garden, passing by the East Wing from the outside, and gently pushed a metal gate full of vines and yellow belles. She stared at the deserted building for a moment. It seemed out of place compared to the majestic structures to its left and the garden to its right.

The princess entered the garden's arched gate. Far off, she could see the lovely sanctuary bridge glinting above a clear stream. It had a light blue roof, some wooden pillars, and comfortable side benches.

Tierra was already munching on some pastry when she caught Eros turning a page, she gasped through mouthfuls, "Yer reader aheard!"

Eros who was sprawled on a wide bench jumped upon Tierra's arrival. He immediately closed the book, "No. No, I was just scanning the pictures."

Tierra looked grim.

Eros saw the bits of pastry in her lips, "And you are eating ahead!"

Tierra let out a giggle, "I couldn't help it!" and she popped a tart into her mouth. She gave Eros the brown bag.

"Not muffins?" he said after opening the package.

"Nerp," Tierra said then swallowed, "Those are apple tarts. Just as yummy though," she took the book about Balfore from the bench as Eros ate two tarts. "Hmm...sweet and tangy," he mumbled.

Tierra was rubbing her cheeks, "Let's see. Now what is this mystery of the Sword of Balfore."

Shadows of the bridge's roof shifted as clouds passed by. A curtain of water danced on the falls, a few meters from them. They splashed upon hitting rocks and formed bubbles in the base, sending occasional air showers to the two teenagers.

Eros wiped his face. He positioned from one foot to the other, craning his neck at the book Tierra was holding. Tierra scanned through them furiously.

Eros began whistling, "I'm bored," he murmured, setting his eyes to the tree on the left of the arch entrance. It was budding, and sprouting from it were golden-pink fruits. They were delicious-looking. Eros licked his lips.

"Be right back," he said hopping away. Tierra didn't look up.

"'Balfore enjoyed baking, sewing, and gardening. He collected artifacts from his travels around Elysia.' This book is useless."

There was a cracking noise from the entrance. Tierra turned to look. Eros fell on a pile of leaves; he smiled guiltily.

Tierra just raised her brows and sighed, now leaning on the table. She turned a page.

A few minutes later, Eros came back carrying pomegranates, "Bon appétit."

Tierra closed the book and eventually her eyes, "I can't believe that old hag isn't just a pervert. He's a bloody liar too!"

"What's wrong?" Eros said, placing the fruits on the table.

"Balfore wasn't even a warden! So he can't be a warrior and he can't own a sword! I can't believe we went through all of these for nothing," Tierra exclaimed, slamming the book on the table. The pomegranates rolled, making Eros somersault to catch them.

"Now now, he could have just been mistaken," Eros said slicing a soft one in half and taking a juicy bite.

Tierra was grumbling.

His gaze shifted, "Why don't we try looking at that swords book?" he grabbed it, "There are several illustrated ones here," and took another bite.

Tierra crossed her arms, "I no longer want to," she eyed a plump-looking pomegranate before taking it.