Chapter 13 ▪ My Heart Sings

It's been two days since Tierra's been acting like the mannequins in Sheesa's shop - attending her classes and only attending her classes. Except for the other night where she found herself in her sister's bedroom, arguing over some doll named Kiefer and how he seemed to have beaten some grizzly bears once again. Still, Tierra felt miserable. She missed Eros.

She sighed, peering out of her tower. The daily view of a handsome knight drinking from his cup was her only payoff throughout the dull days.

This particular morning, Tierra decided to linger a little longer on her window. She leaned to the frame.

In the East Wing, Salovin was speaking with a Kalosian guard. He nodded as they moved along and was now hidden in view. Tierra grunted. He came to view again from another window, still talking to the guard. They were headed towards the stairs. Tierra blinked. The Sephyrian academics. Yes, they were arriving today!

It wasn't long after Tierra was out of the castle. She paused before leaving the gates, Father didn't say I couldn't leave the castle, right? So she went on.

Salovin and the guard were walking on the main road. They seemed to be going towards the city's gates. Tierra strayed a few yards away from them.

To the near right, she recognized a building. It had chestnut red roof tiles.

Pappy's infirmary-home!

Tierra inched towards it, suddenly uninterested in foreign guests. She leaned her back to its wooden wall and then cupped her ears to it. There were muffled sounds. She walked around the corner and neared the entrance. There was a round of laughter. Curious, she peeped through the archway.

Pappy noticed her right away, "Oh Princess!"

Tierra jumped, ashamed for being caught.

"Good morning. Come in, come in!" He added.

Tierra flustered as three more faces turned towards her. The Leng's were seated in an oblong table enjoying their morning pancakes and some tea. Pappy was on the head of the table. Eros was beside him, and opposite him was their teenage daughter. Mrs. Leng was standing near the window, swaying about and cradling an infant in her arms. All of them seemed bright and happy, the Lengs all blonde and blue-eyed.

"Tierra, you're here. How've you been?" Eros said leaning forward, his bangs almost covering his eyes. There no longer were bandages on his head.

Somehow, this made Tierra more miserable, knowing her best friend was contented not seeing her for several days.

"I'm fine, thank you. Mr. Leng, Mrs. Leng," she curtsied, "I was just passing by to check on Eros. But he seems perfectly well already," Tierra stopped every fiber of her body from sounding sarcastic.

"Why yes, Princess," Pappy piped, "It was just a scratch. In fact, Eros will be heading back to the castle today. Right, my boy?" he bumped his fists to Eros's shoulders. Eros responded with a shy grin. Pappy then turned to Tierra, "Oh, have you had your breakfast, Princess?" Upon hearing this, Mrs. Leng smiled and motioned Tierra to get some pancakes.

"You are most cordial, Mr. and Mrs. Leng, but I have to be going for my morning classes today. You know, princess duties," Tierra forced a weak smile.

"Always in a hurry. Send my regards to the king," Pappy requested.

Tierra nodded to them and then walked away.

A few yards afar off, she loosened her breath. She mimicked Eros's voice mockingly, "Tierra, you're here. How've you been?" her head moving from side to side.

She gruntled, "How've you been? That's all you've to say after not seeing me for days?" she challenged the air in disbelief.

A passerby looked at her confused. She smiled at him, undaunted, and then frowned again. She was having a bad week.

Several braided knights were aligned at the castle entrance. Sephyrians, she remembered. She turned around, and truth be told, there were chariots heading her way, crimson flags fastened to them. Tierra walked swiftly into the castle. She couldn't be seen for now, not in this mood.

--

"Princess, you're missing a lot of notes," Lemkin, her music instructor scolded her.

Tierra wheezed, "I'm sorry."

"Let's do it again. From the top."

Tierra placed her unruly hair at the back of her shoulders and inhaled,

"When the green grass clothe the hills
And the sun paints hues on the west
I'll find myself in utter bliss, because
I know that summer will be my rest
For you'll be home again, my love
Oh how I've missed you for so long
So when you'll walk from that horizon
Our sweetest song I'll hum again
I'll stay with you 'til season's end
'Til leaves fall down and trees go bland
I'll stay with you 'til season's end
I'll wait again 'cause wait I only can."

"No no no!" Lemkin stood up from the grand piano and approached Tierra, "You lack feeling, Princess. I told you, get your air from your navel and don't raise your chin too much," he said positioning Tierra, "Try singing to yourself, Princess. This is a special song. Now that last line."

"I'll wait again 'cause wait I only can."

The instructor sighed.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lemkin. I can't concentrate. I'm too nervous about tomorrow."

Mr. Lemkin cocked his head, "Is it tomorrow already?"

Tierra nodded slowly, trying to look pitiful.

"Alright," Mr. Lemkin adjusted his spectacles, "We shall end with that for now," Tierra rejoiced internally, "But please, Princess, don't forget to do your morning breathing and humming exercises. It is vital."

Tierra couldn't help grinning; she stepped down the platform and hugged her tiny instructor.

"And remember, whether you will be a warden or not, you are still the princess. And princesses know how to sing," he said firmly, but Tierra couldn't help appreciating his considerateness.

"I shall. You are most charitable, Mr. Lemkin!" and off Tierra went, dismissed an hour early.

--
(cover photo of Carcassonne in France and text photo from depositphotos.com)

It's a special song, you say? Hmm..
Our protagonist is happy to be free once again!