Chapter 6 • Back to the Market

"Eros!"

Eros turned and dropped some chicken feed on his left foot, which was instantly pecked by his feathery pets, "Aw! Aw! Urgh!" He said backing away, "Blasted chickens!"

Tierra was running to him, stopped herself from giggling, and failed. She was responded with a glare, "This is how they repay their master," he grumbled kicking the ground to shake off the feeds, "What's up, Tierra?"

"Do you have errands this afternoon?"

"No, why?"

"Then, you must come with me!"

"Where to?"

"The Sword of Balfore."

"The Sword of what?"

"Balfore. Now c'mon!"

While running, Eros beheld the girl before him in ragged brown robes. His gaze shifted to their fingers intertwined. His heart skipped a beat.

"Pick up your speed, Eros. We need to get there fast!"

"Oh...sorry."

--

The market was slowly getting deserted. Some of the stall owners were packing up early to watch the tournament.

"Now where was that shop..." Tierra paced around, "Oh yes, over there." She turned to Eros, "Now remember, it's the one with a silver-lavender handle-"

"Yes, yes, with grape vines all over."

"Perfect! And contain yourself. He must not know about me. Okay? Now go!"

Eros looked sullen. Tierra and her spontaneity can sometimes be so grievous. He walked towards a shabby tent where a bearded man was wiping some swords with his cloth. So this was the pervert. Now which sword will I use to cut his hands off? This dagger maybe. But Eros calmed himself. He glanced towards Tierra who was watching him at a corner. She motioned him to start.

Tierra was sweating as she heard Eros describing the sword.

At the other end, she noticed a man pushing a cart filled with fruits. He recited his bargains but was responded with puzzled looks by passersby and condemning grunts by stall merchants. This was so because cart merchants were not allowed in Kalos; one must set up a stall of his own. The punishment of being caught was grave, so when no one bothered to inform the foreign trader, Tierra found herself approaching the man.

But there was a tug on her skirt. Tierra turned to look. Her insides churned and she felt her heart drown. It was the pale girl from last night!

"Get away from me! Away!" Tierra was flailing her hands in the air frantically. The man with the cart looked back confused. Several merchants stepped out of their tents.

The small girl was giggling, grasping the princess's shiny cream dress. Tierra stumbled backwards but was caught by Eros, "Tierra! Tierra, what's wrong?"

"Th-there was a-" but in a blink, all Tierra could see was a gaunt street child in dirty ragged clothes, an ashen hand outstretched, no pale girl laughing.

Eros looked at where Tierra was pointing. He sighed and gave the hungry-looking lass a silver coin, "Go on!" The child bowed and scurried away. Eros helped Tierra to her feet.

"Nothing to see here," he told the onlookers. The two teenagers walked away from the market place, "That wasn't a very nice way to treat a beggar."

Tierra stopped, she buried her hands to her face.

"What's the matter?" Eros said placing a hand on her shoulder.

She turned to her best friend, "Eros, I saw a girl, a ghost, I don't know...I saw her too last night. And now I'm imagining things. Eros, I'm going crazy."