Chapter 37 ▪ The Maze Test (2/3)

Serin scooted a little to the side as she and Karys positioned at the third row of the amphitheatre where they could see the top of the maze better. Karys was clutching her hair with both hands. Serin was biting her thumb.

The first round of players have been chosen and Miss Viaughn picked the students of their class with supposedly intellectual potential: Jerille, Maizy, Klowil, Keelip, Salovin, and of course, Tierra, to her surprise. 

Taking a deep breath, Karys muttered, "No, we shouldn't be worried

Taking a deep breath, Karys muttered, "No, we shouldn't be worried. It's Tierra were talking about here," she presented a hand in the air. "And Maizy, Maizy is a brilliant student. They will ace this test!" she crossed her arms with a nod, arching her back.

Serin nodded in response but both of them couldn't deny their feelings of anxiety.

Arriving to their right was the group of Memphis, blurting their assumptions of the wizardry challenge before them. The lot of them relieved they weren't chosen first. Memphis noticed the bronze skin girl beside him, "Oh, hi," he started, a cheeky grin erupting. Karys exhaled in irritation but the young lad went on, "You know, I was supposed to volunteer."

"Oh?" Karys raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, but you know. It would be nice to see the royals flunk before we do! Hahaha!" he cackled as his friends joined him.

"Yeah, very funny," Karys turned to Serin. "Can we exchange seats?"

"Shh shhh it's starting!" Memphis lied, as they all craned their neck to see the first round of players.

--

Tierra wiped the sweat running through her forehead. Afternoon light shone from the ceiling glass and iluminated the maze before them. The air was stale and humid.

She was in some corner facing a wall of sand before her with nothing but curving walls on the far end of her sides. They were separated into 6 points of the labyrinthine amphitheater.

What have I gotten myself into? I have a very bad feeling about this.

From her post, she could see the academics scattered on the rows of seats of the amphitheatre above them. Either her palpitations were blurring her vision, or Miss Viaughn made a hazy force field in between the academics and the players. She couldn't find her friends from the sea of students.

The princess focused on her breathing and closed her eyes. "Hey Tierra, good luck!" she remembered Salovin telling her a while back.

Yeah, she smiled. It would be nice to excel on this test with him.

"Aaalright!" Miss Fiaughn boomed, "All players ready?"

What? Ready? No, wait!

Miss Fiaughn bellowed on, "Positions check. Players ready. Admission starts....now!"