Chapter 27 ▪ What Wardens Are

A mountain bluebird flew back to its nest. Its hiding place - cleverly perched under ageing leaves - was almost hidden among the pine green hues of its surroundings.

A fat squiggly worm dangled from its mouth

A fat squiggly worm dangled from its mouth. One, two, three little beaks opened here and there like the fountain in the town square just before it hauled water upward. Only that these tiny mouths were eager to have something hauled down their throats for a slimy sumptuous breakfast.

At least they're in the mood for breakfast, Tierra thought, though cherishing the delicious contentment she felt being seated adjacent to the windows

At least they're in the mood for breakfast, Tierra thought, though cherishing the delicious contentment she felt being seated adjacent to the windows. The fact that she had something else to do to clear her mind, e.g. observe nature, apart from moving her mouth, gave a mushy feeling to her chest.

The lecture hall, nonetheless, buzzed and bustled. It was the third day of the academy. The day was an open door to possibilities. But Tierra still could not fight the lingering worry from the events of last night. I wish Tania is safe.

Just then, Miss Deci entered the hall; travelling boots, knee length raisin colored dress with fur edges, and a cloak wrapped around her shoulders; and it wasn't even winter yet.

"Is everyone in?" The class froze. Yesterday's incident with her temper has still gotten them jittery.

Vikter, Simmon and Eybrem were still missing.

She sat on her desk, eyes closed, fanning herself with one hand while the other drummed the table with her wand. She was taking deep breaths.

Noises echoed in the hallways accompanied by rowdy laughter. The boys arrived and paused as they saw Miss Deci and everyone quiet. They ducked instinctively and tip toed towards their chairs.

Eyes still closed, Miss Deci tapped her wand lightly on the desk and the lecture hall door slammed shut. Monnet and the girls shivered, startled.

Their preceptor's brows furrowed as silence continued to fill the room. She was muttering something under her breath. Outside, the skies and trees slowly blurred, until the whole view of the windows seemed to have dissolved.