Chapter 20 ▪ Of Friends

A thin boy in dusty academic clothing stood outside. He seemed to have been covered in a layer of white powder, flour perhaps. Sweat moistened the sides of his dark bangs.

It was Eros, who was just as shocked to see Karys on the door.

"I'm looking for Tierra," he said immediately before scratching his head.

"Oh," Karys replied and motioned to her disheveled room mate who recognized the voice right away. Tierra wiped off the tips of her dripping nose before standing up.

Karys plopped on the bed where Maizy and Serin laid as Tierra closed the door behind her.

"Why are you here?" she whispered, looking around the hallway.

"I was just checking up on you. And besides, you had something urgent to tell me."

"Oh yes yes! Follow me," and with that, Tierra grabbed his arm towards the other end of the hall and to the staircases.

They ended up at what looked like the outside of Tierra's bedroom.

Catching his breath, Eros mumbled, "Am I...Am I even..allowed here?" he said through heaves. They had to stop every turn awhile back to escape the guards.

Tierra found the key that she had in her inner pocket and shook her head in response. Her heart beating fast. "Just stay here outside and hide if anyone passes by." And the princess slipped in her room before Eros could object. She left the door ajar.

Eros stopped breathing. Realizations soon settled in. He was standing at the door of the kingdom's princess. The bedroom of the king's daughter. The sight of him there could give him a one way ticket to the dungeons or worse, a shorter lifespan. He panicked.

"Tierra," he whispered urgently, seeing a glimpse of grand burgundy curtains inside.

"Tierra!" he whispered more loudly.

"Hold on. I can't find it!" she called back from what seemed like her dressing room.

Nearby footsteps echoed in the hallway. Eros swore his heart would leap out of his chest.

"Tierra, someone's coming!" he hissed through gritted teeth.

Two shadows were now seen about to appear in the hallway. Eros scrambled to a column and hid next to it. His heart pounding like the festival drums.

"I can't find it!" Tierra finally came into view, stepping out the door

"I can't find it!" Tierra finally came into view, stepping out the door. Castle guards appeared and turned to the princess, curious to whoever she was talking to.

Tierra blushed, "Oh hi! I can't find my robe. I was on my way to the West Wing," she giggled nervously, straightening her skirt.

"Anything we can help, your highness?" the guards asked in return.

Tierra laughed, making a quick glance to the column where Eros was, "Oh nothing, nothing. Tee-hee. Just my robe! I can do without it. Skitter along now to your posts. Hee-hee," and with that, the guards left.