Chapter 28

Estie didn't think killing this thing would take so much work. So far, her arrows had been knocked overboard, Ryker had been knocked out (still breathing) and she had a large red gash on her arm. Thank Thor it had been from her sword. She would have been dead by now if it was from the dragon.

This dragon was extremely feisty for having a broken wing! Estie gritted her teeth. This had gone on long enough.

With a roar of fury, she ran towards the dragon, sword raised. It was over.

Or was it.

The dragon whirled around and pounced on her, pinning her to the mast of the ship. Estie was terrified. She was taking sharp breaths, staring into its green eyes, while it stared into hers, it's claws around her throat.

Estie could believe she was going to die like this. How pathetic! Her family would be ashamed. She should have done something. Something bold. Something powerful. But no. That's not even close to what she did.

"Please" she chocked out. "Don't...".

The dragon roared furiously at her, it's razor sharp teeth gleaming in the moonlight. Estie gulped. She was going out the same way her grandfather did.

~~~~~

Sixteen years Viggo had been elected chief. He had been fifteen. Estie was five. She remember looking out her window, watching her grandfather disappear into the distance, never to be seen again.

Viggo had changed that day. He turned to a closed hearted warrior, and destroyed anything and everything in his way and couldn't care about how many people he hurt.

Estie had been pushed aside. She wasn't good enough for Viggo. But she had no else to go to. That's why she stuck around so long. If she had been old enough to defend for herself, so would have left a long time ago. Thor knows why she stayed at the base for sixteen years!

Estie remembered her grandfathers last words. She remembered his last facial expression. It was heart wrenching to think about. But it went something like this:

Estie looked out the window, trying to spot her brothers and grandfather. Her parents had been dead for years. She always believed they were too weak to survive. She never wanted to be like that. When she finally spotted her grandfather, her heart dropped into her boots.

There he was, being whisked away, by the one and only Dark Spot dragon into the distance, never to be seen again.

"Viggo"! He was shouting. "Take care of the tribe, as chief"!

His lasts words. Esties eyes turned to Viggo. He was standing frozen, as he watched the old man vanish from sight, never coming back. Estie felt the tears form in her eyes. This wasn't real! It couldn't be real. But it was. Estie began to cry. It was the first time she ever cried. He couldn't have left her.

But he did.

~~~~~

So here she was. Estie, the tough warrior she was, pinned under the Dark Spot dragon, knowing her death was on her any second. I'm coming Grandfather she thought and closed her eyes, letting the dragon do what it was going to do.

But nothing happened.

She opened one eye. Then the other. She flexed her fingers. She wasn't dead! "Wha-" she stammered and looked up. The Dark Spot say in front of her, looking at her curiously. The fury in its eyes was no longer there.

Estie slowly stood up, her knees shaking. "You could have killed me" she whispered, her voice shaky. "But you didn't. After everything I've done".

Another voice entered her ears. "Estie, is that you"?! Estie panicked.