Sweet Smiles

Mark's P.O.V.

"Why aren't you smiling?" She poked my cheek.

A sigh escaped my lips. "Just... I want to be alone today, okay?" The palm of her hand molded around my jaw, I gently pat her hand that cupped my cheek ever so lovingly.

"Okay." She smiled. Not understanding what I just said, she took a seat next to me, fiddling with her thumbs. Humming.

"Um..." I weakly smiled. "You did understand what I said, right?"

"Mhm." She hummed with an adorable smile.

"You know what alone means, right?"

"Mhm." She repeated in a sing-song way.

I push her away, just a little. "Go have fun."

"I am." She scooted closer to me, everything annoying she's doing is out of her usual character.

Your P.O.V.

Something about Mark didn't seem right today. Listening to my need to find out what it is, I became determined to find my answer even if it means annoying him to spill the beans. I want to know he's okay.

"(Y/N)." His eyes begged. "Please."

"Semper Fi."

Confusion fixed his expression. "What?"

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I'm not leaving you alone, Mark."

His eyes met mine for the first time today, giving me a little more comfort that he might tolerate me. I gave him a bright smile, in hopes he'll tell me if I can help.

Returning with half a smile, only the left side of his lips curved up, he spoke. "Come on. You need to have fun."

"Well that's insulting." I jokingly muttered, hanging my head.

Right after doing so, he seemed to be more confused than ever. "What do you mean insulting?"

"I thought you loved me." My voice sounded more innocent as I poked out my bottom lip.

"Where is this coming from?" He nervously laughed.

"So you don't love me?" I did my best impression of a sad face.

"What?! Of course I do!"

My fingers traced the line of my forehead and hair, pushing any loose strands and some bangs behind my ear. "Now you're just saying that."

He tugged his hair and let an amused shout of frustration out, got to his knee and held my hand, forcing me to blush.

"No! I love you, (Y/N)! Don't ever doubt that!"

Realizing what he just said and the position he's in, he blushed, frozen in place.

Mark's P.O.V.

As soon as I said those words, I regretted them. I knew I embarrassed myself. I knew she'd think I was strange. Whatever my brain screamed, I couldn't move from my spot.

All she did was smile, letting her arms fall around my neck.

She hummed a little, with the same sweet soft voice. "I love you, too, my Markimoo."

She... loves me, too?

I accepted her hug and embraced her, enjoying this moment of tenderness.

The one thing I want most is to make her mine. To love her unconditionally. To grow old with her. She is the only girl who could make my heart race like this. She is the only girl whose smile can make mine. She's my best friend. She's everything to me... I want to be everything for her.

Just to fall in love with her after seeing her smile is the best thing ever.

She distanced herself just enough to stare into my eyes, our arms still around each other. With a kind smile, she ran her fingers through my hair. "I know you're upset. It's okay if you don't tell me, as long as you remember I'm here."

That's where I dropped my pride. I let my tears fall, hanging on to her, crying on her shoulder. She held me tightly, not making fun of me, running her fingers through my hair, humming a soft tune with, what I imagine to be, a loving smile.

"I love you." She placed a kiss on my forehead. "And love is not judging. Love is healing."

She wiped my tears away. She always has that sweet smile, or any kind of gentle loving grin. That's what I admire so much about her.

"My father," I choked on the words, "died yesterday."

She held me as close as she could get me, her arms holding me tighter.

"I wouldn't understand since I have no parents. They walked out on me when I was young. All I had was Ella. She took care of me." Her smile didn't falter.

"I'm sorry..."

"I'm not. It made me who I am and I wouldn't want to be any different. Who knows? I could be bullying you instead of you being in my arms." She wiped the last of my tears away.

I chuckled.

Her sweet smile... I love it. So gentle... so sweet... so... safe...

I think I'm in love.