Singing. At Night!

I can't write songs. XD

"Alright, Mark is coming over soon. He'll keep an eye on you."

I sighed, laying upside down on her couch. "I'm an adult, Adda."

"An adult who didn't live eight years of her life."

"Ouch."

"Are you okay?" She peered over the counter.

"Yeah, except for that emotional wound."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry I said that, but you can't hate me for worrying. Technically, you're still eighteen."

"I know. I don't hate you. I loves you. But I can at least try to take care of myself here."

"No. I want to make sure you'll be okay."

"Pssh. Nerd."

She smiled. "Oh yeah, I ran to the store this afternoon and got you something."

I sat up. "What is it?"

"You'll find out when Mark gets here."

"Alright."

I stood up.

"Do you remember when I would have bonfires?" The memory brought a bright smile on her face, mine, too.

She threw over a bag of marshmallows, which I perfectly caught. "I can't forget those nights. They were the best."

It made me smile a little bigger, glad she remembered those countless nights where the three of us were just ourselves, nothing in the world around us existed in those moments. We were happy. "I'm glad."

"I'm glad you're back again." She grinned at me. She seemed almost done getting ready and uniformed, making sure everything she needed from the kitchen is ready for meals. She stepped in front of the mirror to check herself, scanning to see if she looked sharp.

"Oh, officer Addaline," I said in such a dramatic and sexual way, adding in over exaggerated gestures, "please don't cuff me, I don't think my wrists could bear the pain."

I saw her smirk in the mirror. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but you're going to come with me."

"Oh, dear me!" She turned around to meet my acting expectations. "Oh, officer! Must I go?!"

"Yes, ma'am. You're wanted for grand theft."

I threw myself at her. "Oh, officer! What have I stolen?!"

With the most serious face, she held my hand in hers, looked me in the eyes. "My heart." She got on one knee, my hand in hers.

"Oh, officer Addaline!" I held my hand over my chest, where my heart is. "Yes! A thousand times yes!"

"Uh..." We turned to see Mark standing a few feet away, unsure about what he just witnessed.

Addaline and I exchanged glances then burst out in laughter. Mark wasn't amused at all, he actually seemed heart broken.

"Adda, tell him." I rolled on the floor, laughing until I felt the pain. "I can't breathe!"

"You tell him! I can't either!" She gasped for air, still laughing.

The longer we laughed the more he seemed upset and the funnier it got. We calmed down after a few moments, I explained what he witnessed. His shoulders eased a bit, letting me believe he relaxed.

"I'm happy you guys are still the same." He smiled. "Adda, when are you coming back?"

"It won't take long. My friend just needs me to cover for him for the rest of his shift. Just don't kill her."