I.C.U.

"Mark!" Addaline ran through the doors and grabbed Mark's shoulders, shaking him frantically. "What happened?!"

I saw the fear that fueled him. Even I could see his life flash before my eyes.

"I don't know yet!" He pointed at me, casting the terrifying beast's eyes away from him. "Ask Jack for the details!"

She ran up to me and shook my shoulders the same. "What happened?!"

Eyes from all around were blankly staring at us, being the center of attention.

"Addaline," I gently put my hands on her small tensed shoulders, "calm down. I'll tell you everything."

Her shoulders eased a little, the fear and anger still perched securely in her eyes.

I gestured to some open seats. When they sat down, I pulled a chair in front of them, being the last to sit.

Taking a deep breath, I began explaining everything.

"Excuse me, your friend is a (Y/N) (M/N) (L/N), correct?" The woman in light blue scrubs softly spoke to us, mid-explaining the events.

Adda jumped up. "Is she okay?!"

I noted her fists were so tight, I could see her nails dig into her palm.

That looks painful, probably close to drawing some serious blood.

Then I noticed her jaw is clenched and she shook a bit, her eyes cold.

Is she doing everything she can not to kill this nurse?

"If you come this way, the doctor will speak with you."

She spun around and walked briskly to a door behind the desk and opened it for us. Addaline rushed ahead of Mark and followed the nurse.

Being behind the panicked pack, my eyes scanned the area.

Nothing but grave faces.

One room caught my eye.

There's a sickly little girl in a hospital bed, clutching a stuffed animal.

A large burly man, who seemed like the average every day motorcycle asshole stereotype, softly spoke to her.

"You know how much God loves you?" He grinned.

She nodded, a bright infectious smile spread from ear to ear. "He loves me so much! He gave me a friend so I won't be lonely, too! He said God promised to take me to see my mommy and daddy later."

Oh no...

His grin saddened at the words as he ruffles her hair. "You won't hurt anymore, Ellini. Remember, God is good. He only is good."

She laughed. "Thank you, father. I love you. And thank you for taking care of me after mommy and daddy walked with Jesus."

He's a pastor? America is strange...

"I love you, too, little one."

He kissed her forehead.

For a man who looks like an asshole, he sure is kind and sweet.

She heavily coughed her small lungs out, little splotches of blood stained her gown and drooled from her lips.

The man there ran out of the room, calling for a doctor at the top of his lungs, yelling 'she's coughing up blood'.

I felt my heart wrench just completely, and break so fast, it's not funny.

What makes it harder to see is she is smiling through it all, the nurses and doctors working on her, checking all the machines in an attempt to prolong her life, even attempting to comfort the grown man that held her small hand.