HOW IT BEGAN

"Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand" ― Hayley Williams.

Tuesday 6th of January 2015.

Simple, painless and uncomplicated. That's how I would describe my small family of three. Dad comes home from work at six every Tuesday like clockwork. Tuesday's the only day of the week he can come home early.

Currently helping mum make dinner, I was reaching for something from one of the higher up cupboards when dad wanders into the kitchen looking stressed and tired. I walk over to him, giving his large body a giant hug. Taking in his warmth, I feel the tension drain from his body. "How was work dad?" He told me it was okay letting go, then stepped beside mum giving her a small kiss on her cheek. Mums face lit up with unconditional love that made her Blue eyes shine.

"Dad. I got an eighty-nine out of one hundred in English." I beam, tugging at his dark suit sleeve pulling him over to the island where my paper lay from showing mum earlier.

I was so excited; I was one of the lucky ones in my year eight creative writing class to get a really good mark.

"Ok, sweetheart." Dad chuckles, sitting down on a stool. He started reading through my work while I stood next to him anxious for his response.

Mr. Flores set a task asking us to write a paper on something that's special to us. I was going to do it on plants and flowers, yet chose to do it on my parents instead. Why? Because they're my best friends. Lame, but I don't care. They are.

 They are

"Oh, wow... Dawson this is really incredible." Dads focus shifts back to me once he's read through it all. I could see the happiness in his expression, his eyes crinkling but, I also saw something else. Something that appears like regret. Yet as soon as it appeared it was gone like a flash.

'That was weird.' I thought when dad carried on interrupting me, "This is amazing sweetie. I'm so proud of you!" Dad smiles and gives my shoulder a tender squeeze.

My cheeks hurt from grinning. I can't help but keep doing it. "I'm glad you like it Daddy."

After dinner, I went upstairs to my room, grabbed my pyjamas and went to my bathroom. Once finished and changed, I walk back to my room ready for sleep. I make my way over to my bedroom door to switch off the light before climbing into my soft queen size bed.

A smashing noise wakes me. I look over to my alarm clock squinting my teal eyes. The numbers luminously glow throughout the darkness, stating that it's 3:49 in the morning.

"What the...?" I question out loud in my tired voice. Getting up from my warm bed covers, I creep to my door. My breath hitches, as a dreadful feeling waves through my whole body like a strike of lightning.

I could hear muffle shouting coming from the direction of stairs. It didn't help that I didn't know who was down there. I became increasingly curious to see what was going on. I slowly started to descend the stairs, making sure whoever was down there couldn't hear me coming.

Once my feet hit the dark cold flooring I turned myself from the stairs to the left to see a beaming light coming from the kitchen. Movement was coming from in there as well. I frown. 'Mum? Mums shouting?' I start rubbing my palm over my face, trying to get the sleep from my eyes.

'Mum never shouts...'

Whatever this is about it must be serious because mum doesn't even realise I'm standing at the entranceway. Mum's turned, facing Dad. He's sat down on the same stool he was on earlier while reading my work. His face looks angry yet unfocused, facing the ground. I see a smashed bottle. A brown sticky liquid spilled around the countertop, leaking onto the floor. Lifting my eyes to the top of the island, I freeze completely in confusion before becoming more alert.

The top of the countertop, that's normally cleared of everything is littered with alcohol. It reminds me of a school party scene from a cliché movie. I can't even count how many there are, as I move my wide eyes over it all.

How did all that get in here? I knew that dad's father was an alcoholic before he died so dad didn't want us to be around it! I rub my eyes again just to make sure I wasn't in a dream.

The shouting suddenly ceases. Next thing I know mum stands right before me in her nightdress. She tries to get my attention, with her delicate hands on my shoulders. Snapping out of it, flinching away, I stare up at her. Mum looks so upset. Her blond hair is a mess. Her blue eyes bloodshot from lack of sleep and leaking tears.

"Dawson, go back upstairs please." Her voice sounding as broken as the smashed glass by her feet. I ignore her. "Why...?Whose are those..." Mums lips tremble as I continue almost hysterically. "Where did it all come from?" My voice doesn't sound like my own as I stumble over my words.

It must be somebody else's.

This is bad... That's when I finally turn to Dad, realising he hasn't uttered a word since I got here. I move my worried gaze over his sluggish form. He's sitting next to the items on the table with his dress shirt crumpled, five buttons undone.

He's staring at me weirdly. I can't figure it out but it makes me feel uncomfortable. It's like he doesn't even care that I'm here. "Daddy, are you okay?" I hear myself whisper horrified. I felt like everyone in the entire world could hear my heart in this moment. My hands start to sweat so I wipe them on my pants.

I try moving to go over to him, but Mum halts me back. "No Dawson!" Mum rushes to say in horror.

Gazing at her in disbelief I start to become frustrated. "What's going on?" I snap, then pause replying, "What's wrong with Dad?" Turning my gaze to look at him again, feeling stupid for asking as he didn't reply to me.

What's happening? I wanted to scream and stomp my foot. I realise that I'd wrapped my arms around myself... Stunned. After what seems like a lifetime,Dad finally speaks. Instead of feeling like this was a misunderstanding, I find out it is something quite different. "Well, look who came to see their Daddy.. Why don't you listen to your Mum and go away... you- stupid girl!" Dad slowly slurs out loudly as he turns back to me. I was gasping. Dad's never once spoken to me like that before.

He carries on addressing Mum, "She's just like you... never listens to me, a prevaricator!" I felt like closing my eyes as I continued to listen to this madness. "I never even wanted you... Amelia wouldn't get rid of you even though I wanted you gone. Now look, I'm trapped with the two of you!" His voice slowly raises into a bitter mess.

I feel as if I have stopped breathing. Once I can register what Dad has said, my heart shatters into a billion pieces.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Hey guys, I'm Katie, how are you doing, this is a new story that I really hope you can enjoy💗

It's a bit deep at the start but, please continue. Let me I know what you think, and message me any questions you have.

Don't forget to Vote and Comment:D

Thanks for reading.

EDITED BY - kelsie0393  Go check out her page!