Chapter One

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be normal. The thought of it seems so foreign to me. What is normal? For me normal is going to school and coming home in tears because Loren and her mindless Barbie drones cornered me in the stairwell, or Jasmine and her goons decided that I didn't really need my lunch, or Rick and his Jock buddies followed me around barking at me. The teachers never do anything, why would they I'm nothing in that school. When I come home it isn't any better. In fact it is worse. I hate Summer Vacation. Thank god it is almost over. 

Entering the apartment I share with mom, I went to check the fridge, not much there. Closing the door I head over to the couch, also known as my bed, and slump down on it. Grabbing the elastic band around my wrist I put my blond hair up into a messy bun.  I'm exhausted after walking an hour and a half to the library, only to find that they still don't have anything new. I jump when I hear the door open. Great mom's home.

"I thought you were going out Justine." She snapped at me. walking in with boyfriend number 17 of the year in tow. This one is a real Douchebag. He is huge, mean and smells, but he has an income which is pretty much all mom needs to hop into bed with him.

"The Library didn't have anything I wanted, so I just came home. I didn't realize that you were bringing anyone home." I mumbled looking at the ground. I started to pick at the hem of my T shirt. I knew that tone. It meant that she was getting ready for a fight.

"I'm not just anyone you lazy little sl*t. I am the one paying the bills. Get the f**k out." Douchebag yelled. I honestly don't know his name. It didn't seem important to me seeing that he would probably last a month tops. I flinch and stand up quickly grabbing my copy of Persuasion by Jane Austin from the coffee table. I keep my eyes on the floor as I leave not wanting to provoke them. On my way out I hear my mom giggle.

"Can't you get rid of her? She's always in the f**king way."

"Maybe..." My mom responded as I closed the door.

Heading down the street I head for the park. I'm glad that it's warm today. The sun is shining and there is a slight breeze. I cross the street to the rusted chain link fence that is wrapped around the Park. I am in luck, no one is here. Heading over to the large willow tree in the back corner. This is my favorite spot, it is the only piece of green in the endless grey cement of the neighborhood. It looks like all the buildings are made out of cinder blocks. The garbage's are always overflowing and it had that lovely scent of decay.

I sit down and lean back against the tree. Opening my book I enter the world of Austin. This is my escape. When everything becomes to much and I am ready to fall apart I dive into a book. When I read nothing else exists. I become the character and I can live her or his life. Books are the only thing that can distract me from all of the pain and torment my life has become. It shows a world where Anne Elliott gets her happy ever after, hiding in a wardrobe can transfer you to a new world full of adventures, Dragons and Giant Eagles Fly. Fairies, Vampires. Werewolves, Hobbits and Aliens all walk the earth. I lose myself in the words as they paint pictures in my head.

I stayed at the park until it was so dark that I couldn't make out the words on the page anymore. Sighing I get up and start heading back home. Hopefully they decided to go out tonight and I can go to sleep right away.

I was greeted by silence when I opened the door. I went to the small linen closet by the washroom where I keep my clothes and took out fresh jammies. Heading into the washroom I stripped and quickly took a shower. Getting out I dry off and get dressed for bed. Walking over to the couch I take off the knitted blanket and snuggled under it. Compared to other days, this one wasn't that bad.

*****

"Get the f**k out of bed you lazy sack of sh*t!"

I groaned and sat up rubbing my eyes. Looks like mom is in another mood today. I stood up and folded the blanket before putting it back on the couch. Mom is sitting at the table looking at me with a smirk on her face. She's still in her robe and was flicking her ashes from her cigarette into the empty beer can in front of her. I shuffle towards the washroom stopping at the closet to get clothes. When I open the door the closet is empty. I blink a couple of times confused.

"Where are my clothes mom" I ask turning to her. She doesn't answer just points beside the door to a cloth laundry bag that you buy at the dollar store, I noticed that it was bulging. My heart skips a beat with fear. She isn't actually going to kick me out to live on the street is she? "I don't understand" I say softly, hoping that it was just a joke.

"You're leaving. I called your sperm donor last night. It's his turn to put up with your sh*t. The plane leaves in 3 hours. You should be able to get there on time by bus if you leave soon." She spat out before taking another puff of her cancer stick and dropping the whole thing in the can.

"I'm moving? With my dad?" I was flabbergasted.

"Are you f**king stupid? That's what I just f**king told you Justine. I never wanted your lazy a**. Now get the f**k out and don't come back. You're not f**king welcome here" She sneered. Getting up from her seat she went into her room and slammed the door shut.

I walked over to the table and saw a piece of paper with a phone number and what looked like a code on it. I picked it up and tucked it into my backpack, as well as the 2 books I own. Persuasion and Jane Eyre. I dug out an outfit to wear on the plane. A pair of sweat pants and a t shirt as well. None of my clothes fit me, they were either too small, too short, or too big, these were on the too big side, but at least I would be comfy. I quickly change and put my jammies into the Laundry bag full of my clothes. Opening up the fridge I grabbed an apple and slung my backpack over my shoulder and picked up the laundry bag. When I opened the door I looked around thinking of what I may have forgotten. I have my clothes, Books, Wallet with my ID and about $7 in change. I pondered taking the blanket, but decided against it. I shut the door and started towards the Bus stop.

*****

I arrived at the Airport an hour and a half later. I walked in, dodging a family with 2 kids running around. I went up to the computerized boarding pass self help Booth. I entered the code half expecting it to not work, all being a practical joke that she and Douchebag would have a great laugh at my expense.

When I hit enter, Justine DeMont flashed across  the screen. It wasn't a Joke. I was leaving. My heart started racing. I had no idea if it was because I was excited to leave this hell or if it was because I was terrified. The tickets printed out and I just stared a them for a while. It had my name on them. The Destination was Bentley BC. I had never been out of this city let alone across the Country. I was leaving.

I went over to the desk to check my bag. When I was done checking in and going through security I sat down on a chair by the Gate I needed. It felt like I was in a trance. I was leaving.

*****

Authors Note.

First, Thank you so much for reading my story!

Second, This is my first story, please be kind. I don't mind if you correct my spelling, if I make a mistake I would rather have someone tell me so I can fix it :)

Third, What do you think so far? (I know it is only the first chapter)

I am hoping to be able to post at least one Chapter a week. Every Friday. But I may post more than one a week all depending on if inspiration hits me.

Vote and Comment, I would love to hear from you:)