Chapter Twenty One

Saturday morning I woke up with a need to read. I changed into comfy sweatpants, usually reserved for jammies, and a hoodie. Grabbing my copy of Persuasion and my fluffy blanket I headed outside. Settling down on the swing, I wrap the blanket around my legs and get lost in my book. It really isn't hard to, my love for Austen books is strong. I didn't stop reading until my stomach started growling, sighing I put the book down and stood up and stretched. Looking over I noticed Lincoln sitting on the grass furiously sketching in his book. My heart rate instantly picked up. What is he doing here? Wait, of course, the project.  

"How long have you been here?" I ask him softly, tilting my head to the side slightly. When he looked up at me and gave me a half smile,  I felt a whole lot of fluttering going on in my tummy. 

"About an hour." He said chuckling as my eyes widen and my eyebrows fly up in surprise. 

"Why didn't you say anything?" I ask. He surprised me more when he laughed.

"I did Teeny, I called out to you twice, both times you ignored me and continued to read. I figured this would be the best time to sketch you. You were so still and completely oblivious to everything around you." He said still laughing. My face heats up with embarrassment. 

"Stop laughing at me, jackass" I say grinning.

"I love it when you use pet names on me." He teases, making my fluttering tummy turn into a frenzy. 

"Shut up" I mumble walking towards the house, he falls into step beside me. "Are you hungry?" 

"I could eat"

"Want breakfast?"

"Sure." He said grinning. I smile back as we enter the kitchen. Dad was sitting at the table when we entered, a huge smile graced his face when he saw Lincoln.

"Lincoln, come on in. How are you doing?" He chirped, turning to me he continued. "Does this mean you changed your mind, and are ditching that other kid?" He said wagging his eyebrows, causing me to facepalm. 

"Dad, please, just stop." I beg. Lincoln looking at me in confusion. 

"What do you mean?" Lincoln asked. Crap. I was hoping to avoid this conversation for a while. I mean, how awkward is it to tell the guy you are pining away for that you are going on a date with someone else. Really freaking awkward. 

"He means Conner." I said looking at him. His eyes narrow at Conner's name. " I'm going to the dance with him, he asked me yesterday. Dad's not to keen on the idea." I rush out. I watched as something flashed in his eyes, but it was gone just as quickly as it came. 

"It isn't the idea of you going to the dance that I am not to keen on, it's your choice of date." Dad said crossing his arms. 

"Dad" I said exasperated. 

"It's a date." Lincoln said in a controlled voice. 

"Yeah, I didn't realize it at the time, but I guess it's okay." 

"What do you mean you didn't realize it was a date?" He asked.

"I thought he was just asking as a friend, because I wasn't going." I answered.

"Do you want it to be a date?" He asked softly, looking at the ground.

"I don't know, maybe. It would be nice to have someone interested in me." I say slightly uncomfortable. "Marsha is pretty excited-" 

"Of course she is! She has been on the golden boy's side the whole time." He cut me off. "What about you? Is this what you wanted, Conner to take you?" He demanded clearly upset, which confused me. Why is he upset?