Chapter 22

Authors Note

Hey everyone, sorry for the really late update. I didn't have internet for 3 weeks, my original Chapter 22 was deleted and then I had to go across the country for a funeral. When it rains it Freaking pours. But I am back and I am hoping to get back on my Tuesday/Friday schedule. This is going to be my Tuesday Chapter, but posted early cause let's face it, you waited long enough. My next Chapter will be on Friday. Thanks for your patience and understanding. 

Don't forget to Vote/Comment/Share.

**********

"Maggie wasn't suppose to be home, I left her at her friends house. Went to pick her up, and found out she was already home. I raced home, knowing that our dad had already started drinking." He paused and took in a shuddering breath. I reached over and took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. I knew this was hard on him, it was the same whenever I talked about my mom. "Dad's a really violent drunk. Usually I'm home to deflect the blows onto myself and away from Maggie. But tonight- tonight I wasn't there in time." He clenched his fist under my hand, I could see the guilt written all over his face as his eyes welled up with unshed  tears. 

"It's okay Pete, it wasn't that bad this time." Maggie said softly, looking up at Peter.

"Sweetheart, judging by that welt on your face, I would say it was pretty bad." My dad said gently. Peter flinches at his words. "How long has this been going on?"

"Dad started drinking when mom left." Peter said. "The beatings followed close behind." 

"When was that?" 

"Maggie was 5 months old." Peter said.

"How often?" Dad asked.

"3 or 4 times a week." He mutters. Maggie leans her head on his arm, yawning. 

"It's, getting late. Come on Maggie, you can have my bed." I say, standing up and reaching for her small hand. She clutches it and follows me after giving Peter a kiss on the cheek. 

I lead the small girl into my bedroom, walking to my dresser I pulled out some jammies for her to wear, Luckily I wasn't that much bigger than her. I handed them to her and walked over to the bed pulling the blankets down for her. Turning around I see she that she is clutching the jammies to her chest and staring at me. 

"Peter said only he can call you Kitten." She stated.

"That's because he is the only one that doesn't listen when I say stop" I say, smiling.

"Can I call you Kitten?" 

"If I said no, would you do it anyway?" I ask with a chuckle.

"Probably." She said with a twinkle in her eye. 

"In that case, yes you may call me Kitten." I laugh. She smiled brightly back. It was such a change from the terrified girl that arrived at my house only a half hour ago. "Will you be okay. In here I mean."

"Yeah. Peter is staying too right?" She asked with pleading eyes.

"Yeah, Peter is staying too." I smile softly and make my way to the bedroom door. "Goodnight Maggie." I say, shutting the door.

 Making my way to the kitchen, I can't help but feel sad for Peter and Maggie. He has always been so strong, and tough, it is almost impossible to imagine that he has gone through the same as I did. Stopping at the doorway, I take in the scene before me and my heart breaks. Peter is leaning on the table by his elbows, his head in his hands. His shoulders are shaking as he sobs. My dad is beside him with his arms around his shoulders just holding onto him, trying to comfort him.