Chapter 2

As I'm walking towards the Arrivals Exit, I can't help but be relieved that the plane ride was over. That was truly a terrifying experience. I clutched the handles of the seat the entire way. The poor woman who sat next to me was shifted as far from me as possible. Probably thought I was going to empty my stomach on her, and in all honesty, she had that right to be wary. I was nauseous the entire trip. That was the first plane ride in my 17 years of being apart of this world, and trust me when I say that I never want to experience it again. As soon as I left the plane I needed to rush to the washroom to splash water on my face and neck to calm my nerves. Now I'm heading towards the sliding doors that lead to my Dad.

I would be lying if I told you that I was calm. I was a ball of nerves and question after question was running through my head. Why now. Why did he leave and why send for me now. Does he actually want me or have I been dumped on him. I can feel my eyes fill up with tears and quickly blinked them back. No way was I going to let him see me crying the first time we meet.

I don't even know what he looks like. He left before I could remember him and mom destroyed all of the pictures of him. What if he doesn't recognize me either. Is he married? Does he have other kids? With that last question my chest constricts as my heart starts to race, and tunnel vision hits me, I barely make it over to the seat at one of the random gates before my knees give out. I rest my head on my knees as I take deep breaths.

Breathe in 1 2 3 4 5 Breathe out. Repeating the steps I can feel my heart slow back to a normal rhythm. I raise my head and search for 5 different things that I can see, to help calm me down. A Blonde woman in a red dress and bug eyed sunglasses on her head. A Roll up the rim Poster for Timmies. An empty paper cup on the floor. An ATM machine. A tall man coming towards me. I close my eyes to gather my courage so I can continue on.

"Pardon me miss, are you quite alright?" A deep voice gently asked me. He had a slight British accent. But the thing that caught my attention most was the concerned tone. No one was gentle or concerned for me. I opened my eyes and looked at him. Wow. He was hot for an old guy. Chocolate brown hair, kind brown eyes, and a five o'clock shadow. He was tall with a lean build. I would guess him at mid thirties. Like I said hot! I could feel the heat rise to my face and lowered my eyes to the ground staring at my rundown shoes.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just nerves." I mumble. I let my hair fall into my face using it as a shield.

"Rough flight?" He said, still in that gentle tone.

"It was my first time. Not really a fan" I confided.

"I suppose it is not for everyone." He chuckled. "Where are my manners, I'm David. David Ferris." He held out his hand. After looking at it for a second I tentatively shook it, I quickly glanced at him and gave a small smile.

"Justine." I shyly responded. I was starting to feel overwhelmed by the kindness he was showing me. How was I suppose to respond? He was genuinely kind. Not like Boyfriend Number 7 who would act nice just to try to get down my pants. I could handle that, I was use to it. But not this. This was confusing.

"Pleasure to meet you Justine. Is someone meeting you at Arrivals?" He asked smiling at me.

"My Dad." I said quietly. He stood up and held his hand out to help me to my feet. I took it and stood. Picking up my backpack from the floor where I dropped it when I collapsed.

"I will walk with you, just in case you experience aftershocks of nerves from the flight." He said.

"Thanks" I responded. We walked to the door and when they opened I looked around hoping to see if anyone had a sign with my name on it, like in the movies. It was almost empty. There was just a woman with a baby, and a guy my age sitting on a seat staring at the ceiling. I could feel my eyes welling up with tears. He didn't come. I struggle to control my emotions scolding myself for believing that there was a chance that he would want me. David looked at me expectantly. I just shook my head not trusting my voice. He gave me a small smile and guided me towards the guy sitting down.