Chapter 4

When I woke up the next morning I was terrified to open my eyes in case I was back on the couch at my mom's house. When I did finally open them I saw my room at Dads. I sat up and looked around. I really needed to redecorate. Maybe Ferg will help me paint the walls. I wasn't sure what friends really did together but I am sure painting was okay. 

I stood up and went to the closet and sat down in front of the mountain of presents. I pulled them out one by one separating them into Christmas and Birthday gifts. I picked up one of the birthday gifts and unwrapped it. It was a little stuffed bear that was 'hands happy' soft and had a cute little pink bow on it's head and a frilly little pink dress.

"That was for your first birthday" Dad said coming in and sitting on the bed. He looked tired. His brown hair was messy and he had dark circles starting under his eyes. He had on an old t shirt and jammie bottoms. 

"Did you sleep at all?" I ask him. 

"Not really. I kept coming in here to check if you were really here." He said chuckling. "Here, let me help you open them in order." He said lowering himself off the bed to the floor beside me. 

He picks up a present from the Christmas pile and hands it to me. I open it and find a ladybug toy with crazy legs with shapes on them that pop out. It looked really cute. Next was a little tutu and crown/wand set. Then a little peoples pink castle. It went on and on like that. Dad picking a present and me opening it. My favourite was the one for my 11th birthday he gave me a Harry Potter costume complete with a Robe/wand/glasses and to top it off It even had a fake tattoo of a lightning bolt for my forehead. I laughed so hard when I opened it and told Dad how much I wanted to read Harry Potter. I held it on my lap while I opened the rest. For my 16th birthday it was a pair of keys to a car outside. He told me that he will show me it when we were done. Finally he gave me the last one, It was a silver locket with a beautiful pattern on it, inside there was a baby picture of me and on the other side was a picture of dad holding me. He looked so happy, his eyes were so full of love and joy. I felt myself getting teary eyed again. reaching up I started to put it on, when dad took it and clasped it for me. I gingerly touched it smiling at him. 

"It's so beautiful dad, thank you. For all of this" I said gesturing to the unwrapped gifts. 

"I'm glad you like it baby girl." He smiled looking around "Now I know you have outgrown most of this stuff before you even were able to open them, but I am still glad you were able to receive them. I won't be offended if you want to get rid of this stuff." He poked at the ladybug toy.

"I would like to donate some of this to the children's ward at the hospital if you don't mind." I say also poking at the ladybug. 

"No problem baby girl." He laughed getting up off the floor and stretching. "I'm going to go make breakfast. How does pancakes and bacon sound?"

"Sounds perfect." My tummy picked that moment to growl at us. Dad laughed as he left the room. 

While he was making Breakfast, I separated the presents into a pile I was donating and the Items I was keeping I put away. I put the Teddy bear on the bed after I made it as a final touch. When I was done I went to join dad in the Kitchen. 

**********

After breakfast dad took me to to the mall. It was a decent size, with a lot of clothing stores. We spent about 3 hours shopping. Dad wouldn't let me buy anything unless it passed 2 tests, I liked it and it fit. He was so patient and didn't complain about anything. The only store he didn't follow me into was La vie en Rose when I bought a few bras, jammies and some undies. In the end he spent over $900 and I had a complete wardrobe including a fall coat, that fit me properly. After trying on practically everything in the stores I discovered my style was pretty basic. I was more comfortable in boot cut Jeans and plain three quarter length shirts, and I discovered a love for Sketchers shoes.  Dad then took me to Staples and we bought school supplies. Our last stop before heading home was to pick up some paint to repaint my room. I had a say in everything that was bought, it was strange because my opinion never counted with anyone before coming to Bentley.